1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 years ago today, the media reached a new low

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yep, Happy Mission Accomplished Day.

And before the mods' heads explode, I'll keep this to a journalistic take:

http://mediamatters.org/research/2006/04/27/mission-accomplished-a-look-back-at-the-medias/135513

Now, first, I understand why the landing was covered. Something goes wrong during it, and there's a historically major story.

But reading that story just now, and seeing how horribly the media covered the Boston bombing, shows that, in general, the media haven't learned their lesson about reporting news rather than just acting as stenographers. Very few at the time questioned the need for the plane landing, nor the taxpayer dollars spent on it, nor how horrible the timing of it was with tens of thousands of troops still in harm's way.

And I'd hate to see how it would have been covered if Twitter were around back then.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I was a wire editor newsside then, filling at least 4 pages a day with war news. They asked me to cut it back, since it was Mission Accomplished. But I kept seeing stories about stuff going on there ...

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

4 pages a day with war news? Wow!

One editor I worked for around 2005-06 wanted us to cut back because she believed people got sick of reading about the killings day in, day out. I did understand her viewpoint.

Getting back to Baron's point..... one of the things that bothers me about how the industry is going is too often we get in such a hurry to try to be the first to report any snipit of news that we no longer bother to find out if we were are reporting is true. News and sports.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

For the past 5 years the national media has operated as part of The Obama public relations office.

The way Obamacare was covered was a joke. Now we are starting to see the chickens come home to roost.

Today is a perfect example with how they are handling the planned Gitmo closing.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Right, like Gitmo hasn't been closed for years.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. baron, keep doing what you do. Don't ever change.

Meanwhile, I heard today that the folks arrested today in Boston were the younger brother's roommates. Not true.

Oh well. They haven't gotten much right on that story.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

An interesting display at the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, Fla., indeed underscores how poorly that day's activities were covered in the press and then misrepresented by the partisan pundits.

But not in the way Media Matters might think.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm sure if the landing took place in Chicago in front of a few thousand orphans, you'd be happy.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Baron, I'll give you credit, this thread has already lasted longer than I thought it would.

But, let me tell you, based on the current President's record, I have no envy compared to President Bush's record.

The guy is an abject failure.

And, worse than just failing in the policy goals he set, he's failed his own principles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.