1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 years ago today, football changed forever...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Feb 3, 2011.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

The XFL was unique in that both football fans and pro rasslin' fans were disappointed with the product.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Here's a Cliff Clavin bit of trivia. Rod Smart played one game for the Edmonton Eskimos, then got released.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

He later stuck around the NFL for a few years, seeing time with Carolina and Philly. I loved that league for the entertainment value, even if I never pretended it was anything other than minor league.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, Smart was the kickoff-return guy on the Panthers' Superbowl [/crossthread] team, if I'm not mistaken.

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Smart's pic on SI.com's Oakland Raiders page is truly epic.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/5850/

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

He Hate Barbers

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

The quality of play in today's UFL is higher than what took place in the XFL.

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

A few years ago, I found a Spalding XFL football on clearance for $11. Later, they were selling the same ball without the XFL logo, calling it the "TF-3000" (or some sort of high number like that, it may have been 5000).

Later, on a trip to Minneapolis, there was a store clearing out XFL stuff for dirt cheap. I bought a Las Vegas Outlaws mini helmet for $10. My friends brought a bunch of Chicago Enforcers stuff. Later in the year, they called their fantasy league team the Chicago Enforcers and showed up to the live draft wearing the stuff they bought.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Tommy Maddox would vehemently disagree as he lovingly cradles his MVP trophy.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

The USFL pioneered a version back in the day.

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

With awful football players on the field. It was the product that didn't succeed, but I still loved it.

Draft saved Draft deleted