1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 years ago today, football changed forever...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

...as we got our first glimpse of the suspended wire cam. That it debuted during the broadcast of the first XFL game is but a footnote.
    Hard to believe it's been 10 years already since that league came and went, and that for all the mockery some good things did come out of it.

http://nymag.com/daily/sports/2011/02/the_xfl_began_play_ten_years_a.html

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I was at the Orlando team's debut game. The football was bad, but nearly as bad as having to sit in the shithole that is the Citrus Bowl for three hours.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

They had a team in L.A. Now that's a crazy football league.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There was a terrific essay about this a few years ago in a book chronicling the history of bad ideas.

I wonder who has the championship trophy.

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I know a guy who claims to have the first football used by the league. I've never seen it, but have been told it's treated with no reverence whatsoever and used frequently at tailgates and in the front yard.

Maybe I misunderstood and it's the first football from one team, not the whole league. Either way, the guy has the kind of connections that would make it reasonable.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I have a Chicago Enforcers and NY/NJ Hitman hat in my collection of hats from defunct football leagues. The New Orleans Voodoo hat (AFL) is still the best.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I truly miss the XFL. It was awesome!

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

How could a league with strippers in a hot tub in the end zone possibly go bad?

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/feb/11/sports/sp-24175

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Sloppy seconds!

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Who remembers the way the XFL decided posession? A player from each team would sprint out and try to get a ball from the 50 yard line. I'm fairly sure someone separated their shoulder in the first game.

And say what you will about the XFL but we all watched that first game.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And I'm fairly certain the XFL pioneered the "coach's challenge" flag ...

Draft saved Draft deleted