1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 years ago this week ... the height of Gannett stupidity

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's been 10 years ago this week that three USA Today sports staffers were fired for writing "Kilroy was here"with their fingers on the infamous blue ball sculpture.

Romanesko has an update on the three women. They've all landed on their feet after Gannett's childish stupidity and are happy.

http://jimromenesko.com/2011/12/07/ten-years-ago-the-usa-today-blue-ball-brouhaha/

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

One was a good friend and another a fine co-worker. Good thing I had left by then, or I might have gone all Bruce Banner on the bosses.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Too bad the whole newsroom didn't go Banner on the bosses. They should have all gathered at that ball and shoved it out the nearest window.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Given Gannett's love of anniversary stories, I'm surprised it didn't get A1 in USAT.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If Neuharth were still around, someone would have gunned them down.

6. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

That's barely the bottom step on the basement floor of Big G's skyscraper of stupidity.

7. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Haha, and my former ME (at a Gannett paper) left the lone comment at the bottom of that story.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This thread is full of win.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I can't believe it's been 10 years, but I get a lot of that these days.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that is the height of Gannett stupidity, but it's definitely the circumference of stupidity.

Draft saved Draft deleted