1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10-year-old basketball star

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Was Drew really a coker at 10?

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

As opposed to the rant about kid soccer parents a couple weeks ago by an american football coach (who mocked that soccer kids are pigeonholed into playing one sport), I'm glad this kid is well-rounded and playing in so many other sports (sarcasm).

Did I read right that one of the street agents is a school principal? That was one disgusting article.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0671689231/ref=sib_dp_pt/103-0343708-9477475#reader-link

I did a search for "cocaine" in the "search this book" and came up with headlines citing 12 and 13. I don't see a 10, but I wasn't able to link over to the book pages.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Is there any way that the powers-that-be at shoe companies, high schools, colleges, AAU, etc. could get together and say "This is getting way out of control. There is no need for anybody to know or care about who the best pre-high school players in the country are," and act accordingly?
    Or is the genie out of the bottle?

5. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Great piece on a very, very controversial issue. The final quote from the phenom's mom nailed it on the head for me.

"All these people, it's a little like they're trying to buy him or something. And I'm like: 'Wait a second. You really want to do this? My son is 10. He's not for sale.' "

6. i waded through 70 inches of that story just begging for someone to mention school and schoolwork and grades. if that dad put one-third the effort into making sure that kid did his homework, we'd be reading about a future doctor or lawyer.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

i didn't go through the entire piece. too scary.

but did it speculate on how tall the kid's supposed to get?

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

The father is hoping he'll get to least 6-2, but height apparently doesn't run in the family.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

Way out of the bottle. In another time zone, I'd say.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

so he'll be lucky to be 6-0. how's that mke him a potential "next big thing?" ??? ??? ???

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

For more media overhype, see: Telfair, Sebastian.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

Damon Bailey? Or did I just date myself? (Not that there's anythinbg wrong with that.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.