1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10-year anniversary plans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Jul 27, 2011.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

So Mrs. Chiquet and I are going to hit the 10-year mark next Oct. and we haven't gone on a big trip in a while.
    Some of the ideas we have to celebrate are the following:
    A beer festival in Scotland next June (my idea and she loves dark beers)
    A cruise, most likely one of those that hits a bunch of "ports of call" (her idea, she can hit the pool, I can wander around the towns and maybe find a knife fight or two)
    A trip to Fiji (just so we can pretend that if we crash, we'll end up on an island like Lost)

We have the money (or at least is saving for it), so we can splurge. We also don't want to do the touristy thing, we want something off the beaten path a bit.
    We've done the Poconos, Niagara Falls (Canadian side, of course), Las Vegas, New York, Boston, cabin in the woods with a private lake, Wisconsin Dells and a few brewery tours...so I am running out of ideas.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've never been to Fiji. I'm sure it's lovely.

I have been to Palau, and I recommend it to everyone.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Congratulations, man. That's great! What about hitting up somewhere mountainous at the end of October / early November? Get some decent skiing in on fresh powder.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And make sure you get it on video and post it here. :)

5. spikechiquet

Funny as it is, I'm from "The Great White North" of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, yet have never skied. I do, although, race a mean plastic blue sled with yellow rope down the hill behind my parents house.

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

You're not likely to find anywhere worth skiing in October/November, at least not in Colorado anyway. There will be a few resorts open by late Oct/early Nov., but until mid December most places will only have a tiny fraction of their terrain available.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Fly into Dublin and rent a car. Spend a night in a castle.

8. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

A-Basin, baby! The best in CO, but it's not exactly a tourist / vacation spot.

9. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

My wife and I have done a lot of traveling.

I have been to 43 countries; she has been to 61 (her career field was interational relations)

Our two favorite cities to visit are Rome and Istanbul. You and your wife can have a GREAT time in either place.

A week in Ireland - - Dublin and a drive around the Ring of Kerry and the Dingle Peninsula - - would be a wonderful choice.

If you and your wife are interested in military history, a visit to Normandy would be lovely.

There are some nice spots in Hawaii - - not at the waaay overpriced 5-star resorts - - to spend an anniversary.

Hope that helps...

10. spikechiquet

Thanks for the ideas all! I'll start looking into some of these things.

Draft saved Draft deleted