1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 of Hollywood's Most Unpredictable Career Arcs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HC, Nov 14, 2012.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Don't forget his time as mayor of Carmel.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

They are all dead now, but Leslie Nielsen, Robert Stack, Ricardo Montalban and Lloyd Bridges all had serious chops as "legit" actors for decades before moving over to comedy and reviving their careers very late in their lives.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So what you're saying is, there is an established pattern of this happening. Doesn't sound very unpredictable.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Same with Tom Hanks, Robin Williams & Jim Carrey. I think Schwarzenegger, Reagan and OJ Simpson have to be the top tier. I also didn't think "NPR Host" when watching Alec Baldwin.

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

He plays a pretty mean banjo too.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I would say it's quite unpredictable, compared to the hundreds of their contempories.

7. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Danny Trejo.

From being the Pennsylvania State Prison boxing champ to being Eric Roberts' boxing coach to being typecast as either a Mexican gangster or federale.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Abe Vigoda.

From Tessio to Fish to outlasting everyone who ever lived.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Steve Martin might literally be my hero. One of the greatest stand-up comedians of all time, a great sketch comedy actor, a great comedy actor, a credible drama actor, the author of three good novels, author of one of best memoirs I've ever read for a famous person, wrote several critically admired plays, wrote funny humor pieces for The New Yorker, wrote a couple good screenplays, is a Grammy-winning banjo player, and is funny on Twitter.

There is litterally no one who can match that resume.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And Martin won an Oscar for writing the short film "The Absent-Minded Waiter." To the surprise of nobody, it was hilarious.

Edit: Oscar-nominated short film. I guess it didn't win.

Here it is: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zVJDxrW3FDE

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And he beat the fuck out of Viking with a pillow case of sodas.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

One of these guys will own Hollywood for a period of time in the 1980s and 1990s.

Draft saved Draft deleted