1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 of Hollywood's Most Unpredictable Career Arcs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HC, Nov 14, 2012.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

NPH also has very serious chops as a musical theatre performer.

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Steve Martin is also a more-than-decent singer, and a pretty good author, as well.

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Arnold Schwarzenegger went from a roided up muscle head to the biggest action star in the world to marrying a Kennedy to being governor of California.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Ronald Reagan: over-rated actor to over-rated President

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

And he turned his career around by playing a version of himself.

6. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

He won -- and deserved -- an Oscar for his first screenplay.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that was viewed as an anomaly. People either gave Damon most of the credit, or bought into conspiracy theories that someone else entirely (Kevin Smith or William Goldman) wrote it.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I'd throw in Will Smith.

Also submitted: Michael J. Fox. Started in TV, went to film and then successfully transitioned back to TV. Guess that's more of a circle than an arc.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Marisa Tomei - from sidekick on a sitcom (A Different World) to Oscar winner (My Cousin Vinny) to respected dramatic actress.

Robin Williams - standup/sitcom/oscar winner

Does Bruce Jenner count?

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Some of you are easily surprised. Actors have to start some place. Most start in small roles and/or on TV shows.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

One person on the original list that kind of puzzles me -- Cary Elwes. One big early role that he'll always be known for followed by pretty steady work over the years, and, yes, one pretty bad movie decision, but one he'll probably recover from. That's not too unusual.

My contribution - one on a smaller scale - is Drew Carey. When he was starting out in standup, and even when his sitcom debuted, I never could have imagined he'd be the guy to replace Bob Barker on The Price is Right.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I am surprised everytime I see Shia LaBeouf get another acting credit, especially in action movies.

Draft saved Draft deleted