1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 of Hollywood's Most Unpredictable Career Arcs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HC, Nov 14, 2012.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Include the full arc for Mr. Cage.
    Bit-part actor (starting out in Fast Times at Ridgemont High) to Oscar winner to starring in direct to DVD crap

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Who would've thought that Ted (Keanu Reeves) from Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure would go on to be an action star in Speed, the Matrix triology, a surfing FBI agent (Point Break) and an NFL quarterback (The Replacements)?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Don't forget starring in the 80s classic Valley Girl.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

What's surprising about that? Actors become directors all the time. Howard was a success at every point in his life because he gets acting and movies.

5. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

I would add to the list Sean Penn. If you first saw him—as I did—in Fast Times at Ridgemont High—it would have been impossible to predict the overwhelmingly heavy nature of his body of work. He wasn't like Murphy or Hanks, morphing from comedy to drama. He went straight from Jeff Spicoli to the most serious guy in the room.

After Fast Times, Penn must have been offered a hundred stoner scripts in which he played variations of Spicoli. I always thought his career was, to some degree, a reaction to that.

6. Key

Key Well-Known Member

My first thought was Travolta...from Sweathog to sex symbol to obscurity to bad ass hit man to overpaid Scientologist.

I also thought of Lindsay Lohan, but I guess her career isn't exactly as unpredictable as her current behavior is. And even her behavior is probably predictable. I wouldn't be surprised by any headline featuring Lohan.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Ron Howard, for sure.

8. That's a great call.

9. So far ...
    Sean Penn
    Keanu Reaves
    Ice T
    Ice Cube
    Mark Wahlberg

I'll add Steve Martin ... comedian, actor to respected - and I think award-winning - Blue Grass musician
    Flavor Flav .. Gansta rap to whatever the hell he is now.
    Sebastian Bach .... Skid Row to Gilmore Girls. Nobody saw that coming.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And don't forget his 5- or 6-year run as Madonna's husband.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

And he played Hamlet. Go figure.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ben Affleck should be on this list. From lightweight actor/former tabloid cover boy to soon-to-be Oscar-nominated director.

Draft saved Draft deleted