1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 of Hollywood's Most Unpredictable Career Arcs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HC, Nov 14, 2012.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I love nothing more than SJ dissections of pop culture so when I came across this I thought it might be kind of fun to get the SJ take on this list. Who would you add?

http://www.pajiba.com/seriously_random_lists/10-of-hollywoods-most-unpredictable-career-arcs.php

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Interesting idea for an article/thread, but not a great list.

If you think about it, Murray and Murphy aren't really that surprising. Nobody stays a hip, young comic forever and there are really only a few ways to go: 1.) Fade away altogether. 2.) Do more mature, dramatic roles. 3.) Dive into high-playing, family friendly schlock.

As for Hanks and DiCaprio, well every big star gets their start somewhere and for a lot of them it's on TV, maybe even a bad sitcom.

Now if you would have told me in the mid-90s the kid from 3rd Rock From the Sun was going to be a huge action star, that I wouldn't have bought. Fairly successful character actor, maybe, but not what he is today.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Ice-T should be No. 1. He went from a gangsta rapper most known for his hit "Cop Killa" to an actor most known for playing cops. That might even qualify as actual irony.

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

To venture off the Hollywood angle, the shift in the cultural view of Muhammad Ali from 1969 to 1996 was incredible.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

And from the same show, how about Richard Belzer. Who could have predicted that the guy would go from stand up to acting in some of the darkest dramas on TV, and almost always playing the same character?

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I agree. Most of the list sucked. Drew Barrymore might be a leading contender for a better-made list. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a great choice, too.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Ice Cube and Mark Wahlberg are definites.
    I don't think Cranston's that strange. DiCaprio was highly praised for 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape' when he was still very young.
    Murphy's still successful.
    Maybe Murray, just because 'The Razor's Edge' was so bad.
    Hanks is a good example, but he's been a 'serious actor' for 20 years now.
    Ice T was a good suggestion.

The fact that Rob Dibble is a sports-talk radio hack is kind of funny.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Nicholas Cage should be on the list. From Oscar winner to starring in direct to DVD crap.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Clint Eastwood from Rawhide to Big Box Office Star to talking to a chair.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Clint is it. RawHide to Spaghetti Westerns to Box Office Star to Acclaimed Director to talking to a chair

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Which one was this?

And who is the bad guy played by Cranston?

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Ron Howard should be in the Top 10
    From Opie as a kid, to Richie Cunningham as a teenager to acclaimed director as an adult.

Draft saved Draft deleted