1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 Newspaper Myths Deconstructed

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shifty Squid, Jun 4, 2007.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I'm not sure who looks at online ads or uses them, but I am pretty sure that someone must or else all these millions of dollars wouldn't be spent on them. Personally, I think the creative ones (maybe video or ones which are in the story and off to the side) work best. Banner ads are so 1999.

2. Oliver Reichenstein

Oliver Reichenstein New Member

Online ads are generally too small and badly designed obtrusive and too nervous. I suggested to use big, nice ads (analogue to print) and separate them clearly from content. They started implementing such an ad yesterday on das Magazin, and I think it works quite nicely:

http://www.dasmagazin.ch/index.php/Main_Page

It is not the nicest of all banners quite yet, but you will get my point looking at it.

Someone said that it is hard to sell an ad below the fold. I don't know about that yet. The salesguys of das Magazin are just about to go out and sell them. As a company owner, I would like to use that ad space rather than some obnoxious shit in the middle of an article that people hate and ignore. And personally I don't mind looking at cool big ads at all, while – like almost everyone – I just hate the current childish online ad forms.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and nothing says "i'm a cool mother fucker" quite like a shoe. brilliant.

thanks for stopping by comrad.

4. Respectfully disagree to a point.

It will work if and when the majority of newspapers get on board.

Draft saved Draft deleted