1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 Newspaper Myths Deconstructed

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shifty Squid, Jun 4, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Jeebus! Talk about a one-trick pony.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

What a sad, sad little man.

He's been banging that drum ALL OVER THE INTERNETS for years now.

3. Oliver Reichenstein

Oliver Reichenstein New Member

What the hell are you talking about?

4. sportschick

The post from Wenalway at the bottom of the first link on the thread.

5. Oliver Reichenstein

Is he famous around here?

6. sportschick

That's one way of phrasing it.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Banned for life is another way...

8. And where do you think the all-mighty Wikipedia gets so much of its information? Check out the sourcing at the bottom. Why, a great deal of the information comes from that dinosaur of media, newspapers and print magazines.

There is nothing the blogging/Wiki crowd fears more than newspapers going to pay-only sites across the board. It would devastate the entire pseudo-industry.

9. CaliforniaRed

CaliforniaRed Member

I'm not claiming I'm smart enough to know which direction this business should go but I do know a favorite saying in my house is this:

The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results.

Something needs to change and it needs to happen quickly if several papers throughout this country want to thrive.

10. The answer is charge for local content. It's the 800-pound gorilla in the room.

11. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Respectfully disagree.

Papers have tried it, and it has only hastened their path to irrelevance.

12. Oliver Reichenstein

Why should we start paying for contents? We didn't pay for them for the last 80 years. We used to pay for paper, but now that publishing costs are close to 0, we don't need to. Why are journalists so obsessed with the few cents we used to pay for the PAPER? Charging for contents is not the old way, it would be a new way. It is a way that has failed big time. The idea that all newspapers get together and start charging is hypothetical wishful thinking. 1) If only one newspaper decides to go free it would get tremendous traffic and make tons of money through advertisement. 2) People would still not pay for contents. In the late 90ties that was how the newspapers worked online. They had to change their strategy to not fade into total irrelevance.

That many sources of wikipedia point to newspapers underlines what I am suggesting. Newspapers are powerful info resources. Use your authority and content power directly. The future of news is not in paper and news does not necessitate paper. Paper is nice, but in order to make sense, it needs to power up with the screen. You neeed to understand the media in order to make money from it.

Draft saved Draft deleted