1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 Newspaper Myths Deconstructed

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shifty Squid, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

2. pallister

pallister Guest

No. 6, No. 6, No. 6, No. 6.

3. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

I agree with the part about increasing online ad revenue. The idea of making newspapers "wiki" seems like just about the dumbest thing ever.

4. We already had it out with this newspaper wiki guy on here regarding this list.

Bottom line: He's wrong about that.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

lots of luck getting buy-in from ad clients on a horizontal ad space waaaaaay below the fold.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

We've had this before. Crock o' crap.

7. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

I agree with much of the list...especially the one about opening archives.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Myth #11: The author has his finger on the pulse of America.

Fact #11: I know the author of that piece:

[​IMG]

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I didn't see anything there that I violently disagreed with.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yeah, the tool who wrote this article, Oliver Reichenstein, was here about six months ago. He was made to look a fool fairly quickly and went away, IIRC.

11. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

HA! That's funny; I forgot about that episode. I actually came across this article today doing research at work. Couldn't agree with No. 3 more.

12. Oliver Reichenstein

Oliver Reichenstein New Member

Funny perception of things. I am not a sportsjournalist, so, of course I left the forum after the discussion dried out. And tool? Tool of whom or what?

Anyway, in the mean time we launched our first wiki for a Swiss magazine.

http://www.dasmagazin.ch

DAS MAGAZIN (Engl. “The Magazine”) is a prestigious Swiss publication, comparable to the magazine of the New York Times. It has a weekly distribution of 770,000.

In the first 2 weeks we genererated 5 times the daily traffic that the same website used to have. The perception has been overwhelmingly good. The journalists are happy, the readers are happy. The competitor has changed his subscription strategy within 1 week after the launch. The search engine performance is flabergasting. The following graph shows organic google access since the relaunch:

[​IMG]

As for the wiki part. We were very cautious and are slowly opening it up now. Advertisement is coming soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted