1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 Greatest Sports Songs....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Aug 10, 2006.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The problem with "Centerfield" is it's all generic. Talking' Baseball (Willie, Mickey and the Duke) is about real players at a real time. And for my money, the 50s was the real golden age of baseball. If there ever were such a thing as time travel, the first place I'd go is Ebbets Field in the early-mid 50s. The second place I'd go is Milwaukee County Stadium in the mid-50s when Milwaukee was becoming the first market to ever draw 2 million in a season.

Another strike against "Centerfield": The line "Put me in coach..." In baseball -- at least baseball at the highest level -- it's "manager," not "coach."

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

DONT U MEAN STEEVEN GLAS?

;D

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"The Hockey Song" is an unforgivable ommission as is the immortal "Rodeo Song". Where's "Boom Boom Mancini" by Warren Zevon or "I Wanna Drive The Zamboni" (or whatever the hell it's called)?

I love The Boss but "Glory Days" is shit. In the video Springsteen threw like a guy who was a candidate for Tommy John surgery.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

add me to the nostalgic new york geezers who insist "talkin' baseball" is a must here. right, casty? 8) 8) 8)

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The Hockey Song is a definite winner. And I totally disagree with No. 1. No way would that make the top of my list.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Having attended the Derby I'd just like to say "My Old Kentucky Home" is waaayyy too low on this list given some of the crap that is ahead of it.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

I also would have thought Gary Glitter's Rock and Roll Part II would have been on there ...

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I would nominate "Indiana," as sung by Jim Nabors at the Indy 500. Really. It's a very appropriate song because so many ex-pat Hoosiers come back for race weekend, like a big high school reunion, even if they're not going to the race.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted