1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 Greatest Sports Songs....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Aug 10, 2006.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The list completely lacks credibility thanks to the absence of "Willie, Mickey and the Duke." Nothing more need be said.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Do I need to hurt you, Ragu? :mad:

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Yeah, I think we have our own little Stephen Glass over here.

4. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Dude, that song (and the crap that the guy sang at Fenway for the home opener last year) is utter trash.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

The song is actually called "Talkin' Baseball" and it was referenced at No. 7:

7. Centerfield, John Fogerty (1985)
    A No. 1 hit that's as crisp and sunny as a day on the diamond. This song benched Terry Cashman's Talkin' Baseball as THE modern standard. You can smell the cut grass and pine tar whenever you hear it.

A more noticeable omission -- "The Hockey Song" by Stompin' Tom Connors. For shame.

An inspired choice by a couple of members of the peanut gallery on that page -- "You'll Never Walk Alone." Although Gerry and the Pacemakers recorded the definitive version, and although I'm not even much of a soccer fan, I'd love to attend a Liverpool game sometime just so I can hear the stadium singing that song.

I also have to say I'm thrilled to see one of my two national anthems at No. 2. Up here it would deservedly go one step higher but I'll be content with the runner-up placing. :)

(Rather than the Ray Charles version of "America the Beautiful" as an honourable mention, I'd go with Kate Smith's "God Bless America," especially if it was on the Jumbotron at a Philadelphia Flyers game. I pretty much loathe the Flyers, but that's a goosebump moment for sure.)

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Ah, Double J, you beat me to it. The Hockey Song is the first I thought of ... and if O Canada is played at a hockey game ... well, there's something wrong with the world.
    But I'm kind of glad the Macarena and Cotton-Eyed Joe didn't make the list. And frankly, We Are the Champions is the worst cliche in the history of sports.

7. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Um, what?

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What about the progeny of Super Bowl Shuffle?

Berry The Bears or Silver And Black Attack?

And just because I wasn't sure if there really was a Berry The Bears song or not, I checked and here's the lyrics to that pre-Super Bowl XX masterpiece ...

Berry the Bears
    Bears
    Time to Berry the Bears
    Try us if you dare
    Now it time to tear
    Chicago out of our hair
    Come out of your lair
    It's time - time to Berry the Bears

Pats
    James got the moves
    Eason's got the arm
    Holloway's got the charm
    Nelson & Tippett got brains
    Hannah can take the pain
    It's time - time to Berry the Bears

Berry took this talent and made it a team
    Now it's time for all of us to get up and scream

(SCREAM)

(pseudo-rap)
    Ok people, now it's time
    We soared over the Jets
    We raided the Raiders
    We Squished the Fish
    And now it's time to Berry the Bears

(repeat chorus)

[​IMG]

Raymond Berry ... original motherfucking gangsta.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Whoopsie, one too many vodka tonight.

If O Canada isn't played a hockey game ... well, there's something wrong with the world.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

As for Silver And Black Attack, I couldn't find the lyrics, but I did find this priceless description of the song on an ebay auction.

This auction is for a rare 1986 OAKLAND RAIDERS SILVER & BLACK ATTACK DIE CUT LP. This is a must item for any die hard Raiders fan, it has the 1986 team singing a rap song. The players on the record are: Marcus Allen, Howie Long, Lester Hayes, Mike Haynes, Matt Millen, Jim Plunkett, Todd Christensen, Sean Jones, Tom Flores and many more. This is a two sided LP.

Jesus Christ, does Marc Wilson do a drum solo or something? And, yes, they were the L.A. Raiders at the time.

11. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Ahh, yes. Totally agree.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Yes, makes more sense the new way ...

Draft saved Draft deleted