1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 Greatest Films, by Genre

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Jun 20, 2008.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Could have included this on the favorite animated film thread, but there are other genres listed here too. Courtesy of AFI.

#1 SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS
    AFI defines "animated" as a genre in which the film's images are primarily created by computer or hand and the characters are voiced by actors. more

#1 CITY LIGHTS
    AFI defines "romantic comedy" as a genre in which the development of a romance leads to comic situations. more

#1 THE SEARCHERS
    AFI defines "western" as a genre of films set in the American West that embodies the spirit, the struggle and the demise of the new frontier. more

#1 RAGING BULL
    AFI defines "sports" as a genre of films with protagonists who play athletics or other games of competition. more

#1 VERTIGO
    AFI defines "mystery" as a genre that revolves around the solution of a crime. more

#1 THE WIZARD OF OZ
    AFI defines "fantasy" as a genre where live-action characters inhabit imagined settings and/or experience situations that transcend the rules of the natural world. more

#1 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
    AFI defines "science fiction" as a genre that marries a scientific or technological premise with imaginative speculation. more

#1 THE GODFATHER
    AFI defines the "gangster film" as a genre that centers on organized crime or maverick criminals in a twentieth century setting. more

#1 TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
    AFI defines "courtroom drama" as a genre of film in which a system of justice plays a critical role in the film's narrative. more

#1 LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
    AFI defines "epic" as a genre of large-scale films set in a cinematic interpretation of the past.

http://www.afi.com/10top10/

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The Godfather is the best gangster film? Get outta here!

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

They could have called it Top 10 Movies Made Back When Old People Were Still Young.

4. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I largely had no problem with the selections (at least the ones that I had seen), but I was a little disappointing there is no Top 10 for Action films. Probably too hard to pin the genre down.

One thing that was a bit of a surprise was to see the love for Rob Reiner movies ("When Harry Met Sally" and "A Few Good Men."). It's amazing how he's done nothing to match their quality since.

"Caddyshack"? Are you kidding me? I know it's revered by many here, but I am sure there are dozens of sports movies that could and should have been chosen.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

"the Love Guru" didn't make it?

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I have issues with the lists, but I enjoyed the interviews for each movie.

That said, no Bridge On The River Kwai on the epic list? Cat Ballou? Cat Fucking Ballou beats out Once Upon A Time In The West? Christ, just put Silverado in there too.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I liked "A Few Good Men" but it doesn't belong anywhere close to any "Top 10 of all-time" list in any genre.

I don't think it would even make a Top 10 list of films starring Tom Cruise or Jack Nicholson.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sorry but any Top Ten Sports Movie List that doesn't include "Slap Shot" is a tad questionable

9. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Once Upon a Time in the West doesn't qualify because it wasn't an American production.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was actually surprised at the number of "modern" films (say, 1975 and later) that made it. Alien, Back to the Future and Terminator 2 were all on the sci-fi list. Unforgiven was high on the western list, and the non-old school Disney/Pixar flicks on the animated list were all from 1990 or later.

11. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Ditto. You can probably name nine Wayne westerns alone that should have beat out that movie.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Outlaw Josey Wales should be in the top 10.

Draft saved Draft deleted