1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 Future Ghost Towns

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Dec 11, 2008.

1. A happy holiday feature!

http://www.forbes.com/2008/12/08/towns-ten-economy-forbeslife-cx_mw_1209dying_slide_2.html?partner=aolre

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Kokomo died the day Ryan White died. The way they treated that kid was shameful.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

That wasn't Kokomo! That was Russiaville! (actual location of school, as noted often by bitter Kokomo residents)

Anyway, that list fails to note that the reason No. 1 Bensenville had so little in-migration was because Daley was buying up land and people were running away from a planned O'Hare expansion. There are probably 150 cities just in the Chicago area that are far worse off than Bensenville, which at least has the Blackhawks practicing there.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I bet at least 3 of those towns died while I was trying to get through the list.

I had those stories that require you to click through 10 windows to see full list. Let me guess-- Forbes wants to pad their view numbers.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've been to half those towns...

6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I have relatives in Burton, Mich. My uncle died two years ago, and his son has had exactly one nibble while trying to sell the house. A real estate guy he talked to said that market was glutted with unsold homes, and not to get his hopes up.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Rudy Tomjanovich is from Hamtramck.

Don't know if that's enough to save it.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

They gutted the heart of of Hamtramck when they built GM's Poletown plant... it hasn't been coming back for years

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Canuckistani division: Windsor and Oshawa, Ontario.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Isn't Oshawa home to a pretty big GM plant?

11. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Exactly the point.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Grandview, Mo. is very surprising. It's plenty close enough to KC to be a solid bedroom community. I guess all the bedrooms are going up across the state line in Olathe, Overland Park and Shawnee Mission instead.

Draft saved Draft deleted