1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10/24 "friday night lights" -- no spoilers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Oct 24, 2006.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

the show is darn good. and i'm not just saying so 'cause i luv connie britton -- which i do.

also, the chick who plays tyler is gorgeous, too.

i hope nbc sticks behind this one.

2. set up the rest of the season nicely. Or is that someone else's copyrighted line...

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

that's everyone's line.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think -- think -- I'd really like this show even if I wasn't a high school football nut.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Better catch it while you can. The ratings are poor.

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

This seems like as good a place as any to give an update on how the new shows are doing and what's gonna be moved or cancelled.

We'll start with Lights, since that's the thread and all: Ratings have been much better than expected. That's why it's getting the bump over to Monday nights starting next week. NBC wants to see if the show can pull down better ratings than S60 by taking some of the football watchers.

The Nine: Off to a horrible start. ABC is planning on sticking with it, for now. But if it continues to lose Lost's huge lead-in, it won't last long. It's failed to win its time slot each week since the premiere.

Heroes: Just got a re-up (in Wire terms). Was one of the first shows to land a full season order from the network.

Jericho: Also got a re-up. Doing well.

Studio 60: Not as good as expected, but not as bad as The Nine, either. NBC plans to push it to Wednesday nights at some point and give it a Medium lead-in if the FNL experiment works out. (NBC hadn't planned to bring Medium back until Jan. but its got no choice.)

Brothers and Sisters: Strong. Not pulling in American Idol numbers or anything, but doing much better than ABC figured. It's close to getting a re-up, too.

Kidnapped: Gonzo. NBC has moved it to Saturdays already and would've cancelled it had the network not paid so much for it. Gonna let it run out and maybe build enough of an audience to sell a few DVDs.

Six Degrees: Would be gone if ABC had anything it could move to that slot.

Smith: Gone. Been gone.

Vanished: Fox is sticking with it, but it's moving to Fridays. And (SPOILER COMING) killing off the co-lead actor, Gale whateverhisnameis (the FBI agent).

Standoff: Hasn't done terribly bad or good. Gonna move it down an hour to get it the hell away from Criminal Intent, which is killing it. With FNL moving to Mondays, it might pick up some viewers.

Ugly Betty: A lock for a re-up, might've already gotten it. ABC might move this to the 10 p.m. slot, but that's sketchy, since ER is back to its old audience-drawing self (unbelievable, I know).

Justice: Probably the biggest surprise so far. For some reason, it's managed to draw a respectable audience each week. Fox is trying to figure out a better spot for it and has already tried it out this Tuesday just to see the numbers.

30 Rock: Will hang around for a season. NBC wants to see how it will do after the mid-year break paired with Scrubs.

20 Good Years: Should be named 30 terrible minutes. It's gone after the break, if not before.

There ya go. I don't ever want to hear anyone say that I don't contribute to the board, even if it's this sorta shit.

7. dog428

dog428 Active Member

That's relative. Ratings haven't been CSI-like, no. But the show's doing pretty well for what NBC expected. It got a ton of help when House went hiatus for baseball and it's maintained that audience the last two weeks.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

That eval came straight from the USA Today article about the time change.

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Which eval? They all came from somewhere.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The eval of disappointing ratings compared to the critical buzz before the show came out.

If I had the article in front of me, I'd quote a few bars. Alas, I don't.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm really happy to hear that about "Brothers and Sisters." I've really enjoyed that show.

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

For the life of me, I'll never understand how some of these CBS shows haul in such HUGE numbers. I know I've said it before, but damn. Criminal Minds? NCIS? Have you ever heard anyone say, "Hey, great Criminal Minds last night"?

Draft saved Draft deleted