1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10/11 Loopy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ben_Hecht, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

After referring to The Captain and Mr. Kiss-The-Mirror, we get:

"But even money can't buy you real star power, in baseball or
    anything else . . . "

Wow. Just wow. The Schickelgrubers elbow their way to the head of the line while attempting to supress their drool reflex, and unload some bales for CC and the first baseman, and everything's on an even keel, right? I haven't read such offbase fiction since Traveling Team.

"Who's a better Heisman candidate right now than Jimmy Clausen?"

You mean the markedly-overrated, incredibly-fortunate Jimmy Clausen? Oh, thought so. Loopy doesn't see nearly enough college
    football, and it shows, frequently.

"My old friend Dave Checketts has Rush Limbaugh in his ownership
    group tryhing to buy the Rams . . . "

Oh, yeah, the "spend-all-the-money-on-earth and win jackshit, but
    he's good company on the golf course, so we'll overlook it" Dave
    Checketts? That's who we had in mind.

Loopy should make DC choose between him and Rush. You're known
    by the company you keep.

Rant over . . . for today.
    Checketts

2. Absolutely nothing laughable about this. He's the best quarterback in college football, and I've never exactly been a huge fan since the day he rolled up in the Vinny Chase entourage that morning.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No way I'm saying he's awful, but
    without receivers as speedy as he's currently blessed with, he'd struggle. He still makes too many bad decisions. I'm holding off on the sainthood designations, thanks.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Clausen stands out as a very good QB in a year when many major powers lack them. Snead of Mississippi was supposed to be the top pro prospect? Not off what I saw yesterday. Players get rated by comparison with their peers, and 2009 doesn't seem like a bumper crop of college quarterbacks.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Was told by a reliable source going in that Tide would embarass Ole Miss's offense. They weren't kidding.

6. See, this is the thing about trying to talk about Notre Dame. You stand up for one of their players, and you're nominating them for "sainthood."

The kid is a helluva quarterback. He makes throws that most NFL starters would have difficulty making. He has one speedy receiver - Golden Tate. The other kid, Michael Floyd, broke his collarbone in the second game and is done for the year. He had a 179-plus passer efficiency rating right now - which leads the country. The kid's been absolutely incredible, particularly late in games, and people have to separate their feelings for the program, the coach and him and be able to see that.

I would never vote for a kid from an unranked team, BTW, but if they crack into the 15-20 range by the end of the year and he keeps putting up numbers and making those kinds of throws, he has to be a front-runner. I can think of one really bad decision he's made this year - the lateral last week that led to a Washington touchdown. Other than that, 12 TDs and 2 INTs and two game-winning or tying touchdowns on the final drive doesn't indicate a whole lot of mistakes.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If Todd Reissing was playing for ND he would be the 2nd coming.

8. Someone said Clausen is "markedly-overrated" and "incredibly-fortunate." He leads the nation in passer efficiency.

Someone said he "makes too many bad decisions." He's thrown two interceptions this year against 12 touchdowns. One of those interceptions was a perfectly thrown ball that went off his receiver's hands last week.

He's been sacked nine times in five games. That's not remarkable, but neither is it the mark of a quarterback who doesn't know when to get rid of the ball or runs himself into trouble, which he was very much guilty of earlier in his career.

He's also the best pro prospect at QB in college football right now. Looking at it objectively, I don't think that what Lupica said was ridiculous whatsoever.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Among other things, the little fellow has always been a Notre Dame homer.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Really?

A two-time champion and Heisman winner is still playing.
    The reigning Heisman winner is still playing.
    Last year's runner up is still playing.

I would argue this kind of IS a bumper year for QBs. Clausen ain't in the upper crust, though he is having a good year.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

How many great QBs does a bumper crop make? And let's not project the word "bumper" to mean NFL-caliber, because many a Heisman QB has sucked donkey balls in the NFL.

Tebow, Bradford, McCoy. That's a pretty damn good bumper crop right there.

But let's look a bit deeper, and these are just 5 guys off the top of my head.

Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan, 122 of 170 (71.8%) for 1,311 yards (218 per) with a 155.1 rating, 12 TDs, 4 INT, and oh, he's rushed 76 times for 319 yards and 8 TDs.

Riley Skinner, Wake Forest, 132 of 190 (69.8%) for 1,694 yards (282 per) with 15 TD and 7 INT.

Tony Pike, Cincinnati, 116 of 174 (66.7%) for 1,493 yards (298 per), 159.9 rating, 13 TDs, 3 INT.

Jake Locker, Washington, 113 of 198 (57.1%, on the lower end of what he needs to be, but he's still damn good) for 1,423 yards (237 per), 130.1 rating, 10 TD, 4 INT, and he's rushed 60 times for 199 yards and 4 TD.

Max Hall, BYU, 125 of 180 (69.4) for 1,626 yards (287 per), 172.3 rating, 13 TD and 10 INT (too much for this early in the season).

Seems to me that this season is chock-full of quality QBs.

12. By most if not all accounts, Tebow is NOT considered an NFL-caliber QB.

Clausen is worthy of discussion.

Draft saved Draft deleted