1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1 million dollars..........no thanks.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, May 14, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2869244

Something tells me 1 million dollars won't even touch this.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Especially not when the bidding starts at $1 million.

I'm guessing we'll get into the $1 bajillion range.

3. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

And you, sir, are a fucking idiot.

Todd McFarlane would probably be willing to use his debit card to drop at least three times that and not even blink. So will a few others.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'll bid a quarter for it and even pay for shipping. Let me go sharpen the wood chipper.

5. Which raises two questions:

1. If you caught the ball, would you give it to the Hall of Fame, or do you go for a decent nest egg, pay for your kids' education, and pay for the medical bills you'll incur for having been pummelled within an inch of your life as a frenzied mob tries to pry it out of your hands?

2. What do you think the ball will go for? Let's set the over-under at $9 million (McFarlane paid $3mil for McGwire's 70th, but only half a mil for Bonds' 73rd).

I say go for the nest egg (but I'd feel a twinge of guilt about it), and over, because the ball symbolizes a career number, rather than a single season record.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's a baseball, not the original 10 commandments.

It goes to the highest bidder. If the Hall of Fame wants to bid, they are well within their right to do so.

If baseball, the industry, can afford to pay Roger Clemens $18 million for 4 months of work, then baseball can pony up for whatever No. 756 would fetch.

Which begs another question . . .

What's so special about No. 756? It will only be the "record" ball until he hits No. 757. Whatever home run is Bonds' LAST is the one that will stand the test of time, from a numerical standpoint.

7. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

756, 757 and whatever the last one he hits will all be worth plenty.

I'd absolutely sell it.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

Let's say SF plays at home during 756, etc.......imagine what the hell McCovey Cove will be like.......

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted