1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

$1.1 Billion for This? Another crappy MNF matchup.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Nov 26, 2007.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'd agree. Last year's Super Bowl teams are on once each. And you've got six non-playoff teams from last season on multiple times: Atlanta (two), Cincinnati (two), Denver (three), Pittsburgh (two), San Francisco (two), Tennessee (two). But, again, when you're doing this in March-April, it's a crapshoot.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It's the second-tier prime-time game each week.

What do you expect?

3. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I don't understand why they hitch their wagon to certain teams. Denver, for example, was on in primetime a staggering number of times last year. They missed the playoffs and are STILL on a bunch of times this year.

Another thing I don't understand: Why do they have to set the Monday night schedule in March/April?

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

When are they supposed to set it? August?

It's released about the same time the entire schedule is released.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The NFL hit the gold mine when they just three packages and a fourth network eager to bid on the league. Now with four (really five) packages and four networks/corps. Disney, CBS, FOX and NBC, I'm wondering if they've lost a lot of leverage. If I'm the league, I cut the price of the carry costs for the NFL Network to get viewers in first or put their games on PPV ala ESPN game plan. They're charging too much for what they're offering.

6. MileHigh

Well, they could, I guess. Have the schedule set, including Monday night games for the first month, in April, then move in matchups for the rest of the season in early to mid-August.

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Seems like logistical suicide. You know how many thousands of hotel reservations, plane ticket purchases and the like must be made for each NFL game?

8. I had no plans to watch the game until I flipped onto ESPN for a second and saw that the game had been delayed because of a thunderstorm. Then they showed the workers squishing through the muddy field, and I thought, "I have to watch this!" It was kind of entertaining, even though I had to listen to Tony Kornheiser.

The game was fast -- I think the first half was over in about an hour -- and because they couldn't do much more than run between the tackles, it became a test of who would deal better with the conditions. It was like a snow game. I think MNF lucked out. There's no way the game would have been that close if it were dry.

9. MileHigh

I don't disagree, just throwing something out there as a possible alternative. Yeah, it'd be a pain in the ass.

10. MileHigh

The whole thing is a crapshoot. The NFL hit the mother load of luck with tonight's Packers-Cowboys game. Only reason they chose that game was because of the national appeal of both teams and it would rachet up the disdain for not being able to get the game. The fact both teams are 10-1 could not have been predicted in April. But too bad the cable companies aren't going to budge unless they get a piece of the NFL Network.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You've written reams of idiotic, textual diarrhea.

And this is the most ignorant single sentence of all that scatological spew.

If you were merely trying to make BYH look sage in comparison with you...bravo, I guess.

12. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

How does this decrease the chances of bad matchups?

You're still scheduling before the season starts.

Draft saved Draft deleted