1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1,000-point scorers: how much play to give?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clever username, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

LemMan,

The guy is averaging more than 35 points per game. His average could go down by a field goal or two the last half of the season and he would still eclipse 1,000 for the season.

He's our reigning area player of the player and has been offered by quite a few D-I schools.

The state's two major metros both did features on him this week.

I'll have to check the state's online record book to see how many times 1,000 in a season has been accomplished.

2. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

My pet peeve regarding 1,000 point scorers is when they are said to have, "joined the 1,000 point club."

What? Do they have monthly meetings? Do they have to pay dues? Is their an initiation ceremony?

I also have a problem with statements like, "he became the third player with 1,400 points, 600 rebounds, 200 assists, 100 steals and 75 blocks in a career." Let's just look at the kids stats and see how we can make them special.

As for the rest of the topic at hand, 1,000 points is a nice milestone to recognize, either as a brief or a note in the game story.

3. as an SID, isn't this something you want to do? seems to me, 1400 points, 600 rebounds, 200 assists, 100 steals and 75 blocks in a career is a good thing, not something you want to avoid. especially if you're in the PR or sports info biz

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We had a girl in one of the private schools break 3,000 points a few years back.
    A year or two later, someone else came along at the school and got to 1,000 in two seasons, I think -- until we did the math and she'd have had to average something like 35 points a game, which she was definitely not doing. She was a good player, but her team barely averaged 35 a game.
    We didn't acknowledge it, and the momma got all pissed off at my editor. I called her when the girl transferred to another school, and she said "I'll talk to you, but not the other guy. I wouldn't save him if he was drowning in the river."
    So, to some people at least, 1,000 points is a big deal.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Game was postponed because school was cancelled for weather, so she'll probably do it on the road. Good times.

Draft saved Draft deleted