1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1,000 miles, 13-plus hours

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by joe, Sep 6, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think pallister will own this thread if he ever posts on it.

2. joe

joe Active Member

Yep.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Last fall I drove from Martinsville Speedway to my house in Florida (shade over 600 miles) in a little over 9 hours. That's about as far as I want to drive at one sitting.

Two weeks in Martinsville is long enough for anybody.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The last 76 sports editors have said the same thing.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

I once drove 8,000 miles on vacation. :D

My longest single-day stretch was roughly 1,100 miles, about 15 hours, from Bradenton, Fla., to some small town in central Indiana. Somehow I did it on one hour of sleep.

Hell, I did that drive just to see a concert not too long ago.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Wow. Longest trip I ever took as the solo driver was from the Washington, D.C. suburbs to York, Penn. And that was only about 90 miles each way.

The trip from College Park, Md. to Princeton, N.J. was longer, but I was in the back seat.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

You need to get out more.

8. Tyler, Texas to Adirondack, New York.

1,651 miles. 28 hours.

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

Haven't popped my 1,000-mile road cherry yet -- a sad fact I've just realized now. I would've sworn I'd done it, but turns out the closest I've com -- Montgomery, Alabama, to Buffalo, NY -- is ten miles short. Dammit, I should've gone to the falls instead.

I have a buddy who drove LA to Columbus, Ohio, straight. 2,233 miles. Mapquest says it should take 34 hours. Took him 40. I think that's because he was driving slow to avoid the dinosaurs and unicorns that started appearing in Indiana.

10. joe

joe Active Member

Was Mike Huckabee riding one of those dinosaurs?

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I once drove back from Lincoln, Neb., to Columbia after going to class on a Friday, leaving late, driving to Lincoln and watching a football game (yes, Mizzou got cuffed up). Somewhere south of St. Joe, I started seeing mystery dune buggies driving on the Interstate. I woke up my roommate and made him drive, even though he couldn't drive a stick shift.

I don't remember there being unicorns and dinosaurs driving the dune buggies, but there could've been.

12. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

Atlanta to Cleveland - 11 hours, 716 miles according to Google

Worst ever trip was Atlanta to Richmond and back on the same day.
    I started hallucinating somewhere between Raleigh and Greensboro but kept going - I still don't know how I made it home that night.

Draft saved Draft deleted