1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1,000 miles, 13-plus hours

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by joe, Sep 6, 2008.

1. jps

jps Active Member

22 hours. must have been about 1,500 miles or so. ugh. not again.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Albuquerque to Carlsbad, NM. Normally not bad, but it was at night during a blinding snowstorm. Who knew it snowed like that in New Mexico? At 25 miles per hour it took about eight hours.

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

State College, PA => Fort Lauderdale, FL. Ah, spring break ...

4. Wow, my longest is pretty weak....I went from Arlington, VA to Maine and back, but it's only 500ish miles one-way.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

St. Joe, Mo., to Buffalo, Wyoming -- 1,157 miles, according to Google. Stopped at the Corn Palace, The Badlands, Wall Drug and Mt. Rushmore.

Did that with a pregnant wife who was puking every 200 miles, or so. Took about 18 hours.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

corky, pennsy is nowhere near as wretched as utah south to north in the back of a greyhound. it's like that state never ends.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Toronto to Tampa, 24 hours, two of us driving in shifts.

Halifax to Toronto, 1900 km (1100 miles), solo--three years ago.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Phoenix to north of Oklahoma City, I cracked 1,000 that day.

The next day I finished the drive off with a quick jaunt up to Minnepolis, 740 miles or so miles and I was done at 6 p.m.

I have also done Phoenix to Dallas which was over a 1,000, but I did not have to follow that up with a second day.

I used to work at a country club in Arizona, and one of our side jobs was driving a member's car from his summer home to Phoenix or taking it from Phoenix to his summer home.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Whilst I was at Mizzou I did Columbia to Clemson (who knows how long.. but we did stop off at the JD distillery); and Columbia to Austin. Nothing like some Missourian love at 10 cents a mile.

Since then, it was probably Augusta to home in Central IL. It's a long drive on its own. Even longer considering it was the day after a buddy's wedding and I had a massive gin & tonic hangover.

All I can say is, God bless the Varsity and the greasy food within.

10. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Billings, Mont., to Chicago.

1,247 miles, 18 hours.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

12. belle fourche, s.d., to south bend, in. -- according to google maps, 1,062 miles. 16 hours.

Draft saved Draft deleted