1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1,000 miles, 13-plus hours

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by joe, Sep 6, 2008.

1. joe

joe Active Member

That's what I did today.

Nothing says "home" like taking an all-day dump in your own shitter.

What's your longest trip where the only stops were for gas, leaks and a little food?

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

wow.

I thought I was drunk.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

from jersey to auburn hills for a dead show in '94. we sat down just as the palace lights went dark and the stage lights blazed, then sparked up, and it was one of the memorable of the 25 or so dead shows i saw. the drive was about 11 hours.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

18 1/2 hours. Done it at least four times now.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

- Drove from L.A. to El Paso once. 800 miles, 11 hours.
    - Drove from San Antonio to Phoenix once. 981 miles, says The Google. That was a bitch. I hate West Texas.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Drove from NYC to Richfield, Ohio for a Springsteen concert. Then when it was over drove back. Slept for a while in a rest area.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Atlanta to Texarkana and back in less than 28 hours.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Columbia, Mo., to Arlington, Va. ... Mapquest says it's 950 miles, seemingly following the route I took. Seems to me I left about 3 p.m. CT and got back home about 7 a.m. ET, so 15 hours.

I was sorely tempted to stop outside Indy for some sit-down grub but kept rolling.

9. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Picking up some Coors Light for a friend?

10. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Champaign, Ill. to Killingworth, Conn. in 18 hours.

Pennsylvania is the WORST, Jerry.

11. TheS

TheS Member

Columbia, Mo to Austin, Texas, on Friday then Austin, Texas to Columbia, Mo, on Sunday.

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I did Columbia, Mo., to Daytona Beach nonstop a few times. The worst though was Daytona Beach to Kalamazoo, Mich., straight through. I got a few hours sleep, went to my cousin's wedding, then hit the road again. On the way back, my wife and I did take turns driving (I'd driven all the way up). By the time we got to Jacksonville, we were switching off every 20 minutes.

EDIT: I checked: 1113 miles each way, all in a Toyota Tercel. My back hurts just thinking about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted