1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“I was 40 years old. I had a life... I didn’t want to do that."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 20, 2014.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

De Blasio's election should have come as no surprise to anyone. A progressive Democratic agenda resonated, like it has in a growing number of cities in the last couple years (Marty Walsh in Boston, Betsy Hodges in Minneapolis and Ed Murray in Seattle). De Blasio's "Tale of Two Cities" message struck a strong chord. He spoke about things like pre-kindergarten, raising the minimum wage, increasing affordable housing and providing better support for existing public schools. Another big factor was the growth and outreach of the Working Families Party, which has become an important political force here. Of course, Bloomberg helped him, too, by coming across as a paternalistic, out-of-touch billionaire the last couple years.

And while the NY Post and others like to get hysterical about hansom cabs and snow days, de Blasio already has two big accomplishments to show for his first four months: Funding for full-day, pre-kindergarten and a nine-year contract with teachers.

2. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

I always enjoy reading Randian SportsJournalists.com, where it seems the only way liberals manage to win elections is by low turnout, fraud, flattering leftist media brainwashing the electorate, and occasional witchcraft.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I always enjoy reading Frankenian* SportsJournalists.com, where it seems that liberals being elected by liberals is evidence that the thwarting of the coming Progressive Age can only be the result of corporatist shenanigans.

*You can substitute Warrenian or Deanian if you like ...

4. cranberry

Corporatist shenanigans are certainly helping to galvanize the progressives.

5. doctorquant

I can tell ... Why, in New York with this mayoral bit, they went completely against type. I mean, New Yorkers? Electing an avowed lefty? What'll this world come to?

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Who said that?

7. cranberry

Ex-Marine, tough-on-crime David Dinkins was the last "lefty" to hold the office. Twenty-one years ago.

8. doctorquant

New Yorkers never can make up their minds. One minute they're electing a de Blasio, the next minute they're going all Ayn Rand plutocrat type. I mean, this last guy, he was a billionaire ... can't get less lefty than that.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The nail salons in Park Slope have certainly been abuzz.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The second-floor skulkers of 8th Avenue between, oh, 40th and 50th, are abuzz too.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Dinkins broke the rules. He had been both City Clerk, and Manhattan borough president. Both of these jobs were basically reserved for African-Americans. He wasn't supposed run for Mayor. The Dems in New York City hadn't allowed an African-American to hold the office of the Mayor.

But, with Koch in scandal, and running for a fourth term, Dinkins did run and beat him in a Dem Primary.

But, Dinkins did have some natural constituencies, right?

He was African-American, and could count on the support of other African-Americans. And, because it was an historic run, it energized many in the African-American community.

And, because he held a borough wide office, he had support in specific areas, notably Harlem.

Each borough has it's own political machines and county chairmen. Manhattan political leders like Charlie Rangel and Percy Sutton strongly backed Dinkins, and put there people to work for him.

de Blasio never held a borough wide office. He was one of 51 City Council members before winning the largely ceremonial Public Office job, where he served one term.

His political claim to fame was running Hillary's 2000 Senate campaign.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

By the time that Koch was running in 1989, his popularity had fallen off and his views had turned pretty conservative on most issues.

To say that Democrats "hadn't allowed" an African-American to run is silly. There weren't many minorities who ran (I can only recall Percy Sutton and Herman Badillo) but the primary races were often pretty crazy and wide open affairs.

As to de Blasio, the Public Advocate's position is what you make of it. It gave him better name recognition than he would have had otherwise.

Draft saved Draft deleted