1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“I was 40 years old. I had a life... I didn’t want to do that."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 20, 2014.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Ragu, the turnout as others have written, by recent standards, it was average.

People always bitch about the snow plowing (especially this year when we had multiple events) and the schools stayed open to give kids a place to go if their parent(s) had to work.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Some is perception more than reality but shows what happens when a politician
    does not get favorable press coverage. Leaves a strong impression that
    he may be failing.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No, it wasn't. http://nypost.com/2013/11/06/election-day-turnout-lowest-in-over-50-years/

Regardless, I am not the one harping on turnout numbers. I pointed out the turnout numbers because someone was challenging my characterization of de Blasio as a candidate that nobody was excited about. Do you really disagree with that characterization?

That led to posts about his "landslide" win -- people who obviously don't have a clue about NYC elections.

He was the democratic candidate in NYC, and he ran unopposed for all practical purposes. He wasn't swept into office by popular mandate. He snuck through a democratic primary in which the other candidates made the usual primary voters sick.

It is still really early for him, but his start to office has been rocky. I think it will likely get worse for him. He has made big promises to a lot of special interests. But always without details. He already has gotten smacked down by the governor. We'll see where he is when he doesn't deliver as Santa Claus. Most people won't really care, but the tabloids will keep pounding him for it.

In the end, mayor of NYC is about keeping the subways running, making sure the tourists don't get mugged, preventing shootings in the schools and getting the plows out when it snows. We'll see how he does.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You said "nobody likes him" and YF said he "has no constituency."

You both then proceeded to talk about people who like him (NYC Democrats) and how they presumably don't *actually* like him even though they voted for him, and how that bloc of voters doesn't represent a "constituency."

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Naturally that means I was literally stating that nobody in the world likes Bill de Blasio -- with no other purpose than to say that not even his mom likes him. ::)

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Fine. It is my contention that NO ONE gets elected mayor of the largest city in America without largely earning it through substance and voter connection.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Right, but the name recognition only matters until the famous people self-destruct. He was left standing when Weiner & Quinn fell apart. He's not the first politician to get into office, and the story will still be written based on how he performs in office. But let's not turn him into Reagan over Mondale just because the numbers over Lhotta show a blowout.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Barack Hussein Obama would still be organizing communities if Jack Ryan had never gone to that sex club.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

And if the media had not given him favorable treatment he would have never
    gotten a 2nd term

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If there was a Bull de Blasio constituency, it would have showed up in the early polls. He did hold a citywide office, and had no support in early polls.

Weiner obviously imploded. Quinn imploded.

de Blasio, through the ads featuring his son, did "connect" with people on some level, and the fact that he ran the furthest to the left helped him.

Originally, no one thought running to the left was the way to win. Quinn hitched her wagon to Bloomberg's engine. She went along with him on term limits. She didn't challenge him on many issues.

The city was doing well, and most people figured you had to follow Giuliani & Bloomberg's tough on crime, pro-business approach.

de Blasio didn't do that. He ran hard to the left, and recycled John Edwards campaign theme. And, it worked. After 20 years, the folks who hadn't benefited from the City's economic good fortune, and who were turned off by aggressive policing, were ready for a change, and ended up gravitating to de Blasio.

But, no one fell in love with him. (As opposed to a candidate like Barack Obama for instance.)

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Does it matter if they "fell in love" with him? They voted for him. That love carried the day.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wait, wait, wait.

You're telling me he ran a campaign that resonated with voters and persuaded them to choose him instead of someone else?

That is bizarre. I have never heard of anything like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted