1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“I was 40 years old. I had a life... I didn’t want to do that."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 20, 2014.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

And that's different from "No one I know doesn't think deBlasio hung the moon" how?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The mixed reception on Deblasio so far shows what happens to
    a politician that gets unfavorable media coverage.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I was going to just PM Ragu, because I feel like this is going to fall on dead ears, but he's right.

de Blasio has no natural constituency. There are no Bill de Blasio fans.

A Dem was going to win. That's for sure. It took two extraordinary candidates, and very specific circumstances (Dinkins and crime for Giuliani, a billion dollars for Bloomberg) to keep the Dems out of office for twenty years.

But, something happened. The presumed Dem nominee cratered Christine Quinn was viewed as too cozy with Bloomberg, right when his popularity was at it's lowest.

That opened the field, and de Blasio relentlessly hammered away at John Edwards "Tale of Two Cities" narrative, that didn't work for Edwards but did work for de Blasio.

Now, would he win again today? Yes. So what. He's the incumbent in a heavily Democratic city (One that has gotten more Democratic since Giuliani first one.)

But, he has no natural constituency in the identity politics that is so prevalent in Democratic politics/primaries. He's not African-American. He's not Hispanic. He's not Jewish (which matters in New York City more than other places). He's not gay.

He's from Brooklyn, which is fine, but it's not like people from Brooklyn are in love with the guy.

The fact that his wife is African-American and his son has an afro, afforded him an almost honorary African-American status. That helped him a lot.

4. Boom_70

Well said. Shows a true understanding of NYC politics.

Deblasio almost plays better nationally than he does in the city.

The fact that his wife was a lesbian and he turned her also
    intrigues voters

5. YankeeFan

He kind of reminds me of Rick Santorum, if the Republican primary had fallen when Santorum was in the lead, and the nation was strongly Republican to the point where the Republican primary was the de facto election.

In each case, we're talking about a gut with no constituency.

6. Boom_70

Reminds me of Wes Clark. Idealist without practical beliefs.
    Plays well with the liberal intelligentsia.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

De Blasio has run for citywide office something like four times and won with more than 75 percent of the vote every time.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Numbers are dumb. The gut. What it says is way more important.

Dude has a fairly compelling backstory. Seems incredibly popular with the people who matter. Aka the voters and has a personal life that connects.

So, clearly, worst. Person. Ever.

9. YankeeFan

I'm not sure the Republicans have ever run a credible candidate for Public Advocate since the position was created.

Again, NYC is 5-1 Dems.

Even having held citywide office, he barely had name recognition.

The Public Advocate is basically a publicly funded community activist, with no actual responsibilities, and a small staff.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He won his primary election over a very competitive field with far superior name recognition. Maybe he's an empty suit and maybe he'll be great, but he certainly resonated with enough voters to win.

The Post will enjoy tweaking him at every turn because it gins up their base.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I saw it as an election in which working-class Democrats regained control of the city from hedge-fund Democrats. My favorite part so far has been listening to Eva Moskowitz whine.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

All true.

He won the election when he won the primary -- the way most elections in New York play out when there isn't a secondary candidate with money from some other source (than the NY Democrats), which creates an actual race.

I suggested that de Blasio was a meh candidate last year. I'll stand by that characterization all day long, because it obvious. He beat a particularly ugly group of Democrats in the primary (Christine Quinn, Bill Thompson, Anthony Weiner). Good on him. He won the election that counted. But nobody really liked Bill De Blasio as much as they hated the rest of the ballot. And anyone who paid any attention to the election cycle knows that. He beat out a field with far superior name recognition, as you said, because their name recognition was a huge negative in their cases.

Somehow what I posted led to a couple of people giving me results from the general election and trying to tell me that his winning unamimously in a virtually uncontested general election somehow proves my characterization wrong. Which is silly.

New York is not having a love affair with Bill de Blasio. It's early for him, but he won an election that everyone sleepwalked through, and he hasn't been in office long enough for anyone to give him a legit score. He has certainly been off to a rocky start, though, and it's not just the Post that has had fun with him. The Daily News has played pretty rough too so far. It started almost immediately with Ray Kelly saying he was "full of shit," to the problems with the snow plows and keeping the schools open and it has played right through to bitch slapped by Andrew Cuomo on funding.

Draft saved Draft deleted