1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“I was 40 years old. I had a life... I didn’t want to do that."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 20, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What do you mean we can't have a national dialogue about guns? We did. Guns won.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If you think Bill de Blasio was a popular candidate, or has been well received so far, you don't live in NYC. There is a reason the tabloids have been piling on him continually since the honeymoon (which didn't last very long) ended.

He got into office with a giant yawn, and has been facing more criticism than love since coming in.

He won the Democratic primary by not being as gross as Christine Quinn and Anthony Weiner, or as boring as Bill Thompson. Only 20 percent of those voters turned up for the primary -- which effectively decided the election -- because of the uninspiring choices.

Then he ran pretty much unopposed in the general election. 16 percent of the population voted for de Blasio.http://open.salon.com/blog/libbyliberalnyc/2013/11/08/dem_mayor_de_blasios_landslide_16_nyers_meh

SOMEBODY likes him. But he didn't win on anything near a tidal wave of enthusiasm. You could have put a popsicle stick with all the PAC funding de Blasio had into that election and it would have won by a landslide.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Postpartum depression is one thing.

People fantasizing about killing their kids because they're "the worst thing that ever happened to them" is something else, entirely.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Well, shit, if the tabloids aren't treating him well then he is fucked for sure.

You keep saying he was inevitable because of the lack of turnout. Probably the reverse is more true: The lack of turnout was because of his inevitability.

5. Dick Whitman

Another conversation it could trigger: Should we ease up on the pressure to have children? Some women probably didn't really want them to begin with, but felt societal pressure to do so.

Another conversation: Parenthood is fucking hard. And it's time to admit that parenthood is fucking hard.

I've droned on and on and on about this here, but there are challenges that parents in 2014 face, particularly women, that make it a different challenge emotionally than it has ever been.

6. MisterCreosote

Sounds to me like the 2013 election was stunning only in its similarity to the previous four elections of Bloomberg and Giuliani. I guess there was absolutely no enthusiasm for them, either.

2013: De Blasio wins with 795,679 votes out of 1,087,710.
    2009: Bloomberg wins with 585,466 votes out of 1,154,802.
    2005: Bloomberg wins with 753,090 votes out of 1,289,935.
    2001: Bloomberg wins with 744,757 votes out of 1,480,582.
    1997: Giuliani wins with 615,829 votes out of 1,116,358.

7. MisterCreosote

A conversation on how to legislate societal pressure, emotional maturity and common sense preparation?

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Guilt feelings set in and it becomes ice cream for all at
    every athletic contest.

9. Dick Whitman

Yes.

And the answer wouldn't necessarily be legislation in every instance. Just public awareness drives and so forth.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

New York has one political party. Unless you get an extraordinary candidate from outside of that political machine, every election is won at the primary level, including mayoral.

There are 3.2 million registered Democrats in the city. 510,000 Republicans. Most independents lean Democratic in NYC.

Mike Bloomberg and Rudy Giuliani ran as Republicans. Which demonstrates either how inept the Democrats were in not being able to put up good candidates in a place where they start out with that huge advantage, or how extraordinary Giuliani and Bloomberg were. ... or a combination of the two.

The fact that Bloomberg had such a close race against Mark Green and Rudy Giuliani barely won against Ruth Messinger, demonstrates that even weak candidates on the democratic ticket in New York start with a huge leg up.

This time around, there was no Giuliani or Bloomberg (who did it by spending ridiculous amounts of his own money) Joe Lhota wasn't a real candidate. He got on the ballot in a primary in which only 32,000 people voted for him.

de Blasio won the election at the primary level. He didn't win in a lovefest. The small turnout of democrats that showed up were holding their noses to vote. You had Christine Quinn who was so disliked that even her name recognition couldn't get her the nomination. Anthony Weiner, who was, well Anthony Weiner. And Bill Thompson, who was weak and had already blown it by losing to Bloomberg. That primary was record low turnout and it took two rounds of voting. It wasn't because of the inevitability of Bill de Blasio, or how much everyone loved him. It was because nobody was inspired by him -- or ANY of their choices.

11. MisterCreosote

I'm not going to belabor the point, but it certainly looks to me as if voter turnout in NYC has been trending downward since the early 1990s, regardless of any "factors" you want to cite specifically about de Blasio's election.

A quick look at primary turnout, election by election, seems to bear that out.

12. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Ragu's anti-DeBlasio grumbling in this thread is the Randian equivalent of Pauline Kael's infamous "No one I know voted for Nixon!" line.

Draft saved Draft deleted