1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“I was 40 years old. I had a life... I didn’t want to do that."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 20, 2014.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If you are going to sensationalize something (what the Post does), that front page isn't the most egregious thing they have ever done. Not even close.

She said she was ambivalent when her daughter was born. She had a life and she didn't want to give it up to care for a child.

The Daily News turned that into "Didn't Want to be a Mom" on its front page.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Daily News sounds more accurate. Isn't that roughly what she was saying?

I don't understand how someone can sit for a magazine profile and get that deep into self-analysis and not expect it to come out like that. It's pretty self-absorbed to think "people will only take this the way I intend in my mind."

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Postpartum Depression is real, and it's serious.

And, mothers put a ton of pressure on themselves. It's understandable, and normal for a new mom to be stressed out; to not want to spend every waking hour with their newborn; and in some way, to wish for their old life back.

I'm sure millions of moms can relate to what she said.

But, there's more to this. Like many in power, de Blasio has restricted press access and tried to control the narrative (and has been very upset when it didn't work out). He's put the media in a position where they have to trade good coverage for access.

So, along comes New York Magazine. They do a glowing profile, complete with a magnificent cover shot. They were given tremendous access for this profile.

Well, there's a flip side to this. Does the Mayor expect the tabloid media, who he's given the back of his hand to play along, and trumpet the narrative put out by the stenographers at New York Magazine?

Sure, they handled it sensationally, and it touched on personal, sensitive issues. But, the Mayor, beyond defending his wife's honor, is pissed that they stepped on the Narrative.

Well, if you want to put your kids in TV ads, and portray your wife as your top adviser, then you've opened them up for scrutiny, and criticism as well.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Deblasios have been a horrible time trying to control
    the narrative ever since they fired their experienced PR
    person who was cavorting with Elliot Spitzer. Ironically
    a story exposed by The Post.

Have not read the New York story but does she get into her lesbian
    phase which I guess was prior to her mommy phase.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to go back and look at your thoughts on the treatment of Mitch Daniels' wife and marriage.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

More accurate, but still pretty simplistic. Heck, I think every parent has gone through the emotions of feeling unready or unwilling to take on the job. We've all also felt we were crappy parents at one time or another.

7. YankeeFan

BTW, the press has been exceedingly fair to the Mayor in regard to his daughter's issues.

They didn't report on it, and allowed the Mayor's campaign team to put out the Narrative of her struggle with depression and addiction on her own terms.

She was portrayed as strong and heroic, and a good role model. She was lauded for talking about the issue.

And, to this day, the New York press has not mentioned where she attends college. They just refer to her "West Coast" college. That seems unprecedented to me, for a college aged child.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah.

Not every parent goes through those emotions in an interview with a major magazine, however.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"Woman tackles completely normal adjustment to parenthood" just doesn't have the sizzle we're looking for.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

How about, "21 Things the Mayor's Wife Said About Adjusting to Parenthood. You Won't Believe No. 7."

11. YankeeFan

As I didn't give much thought to Mitch Daniels, I don't think I gave much thought to, or posted about, his wife.

I don't remember making any strong statements one way or the other.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"Click here to tell us about YOUR battle with raging hormones and crippling self-doubt!"

Draft saved Draft deleted