1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“I was 40 years old. I had a life... I didn’t want to do that."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 20, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

New York Magazine does a profile of Chirlane McCray, wife of New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio.

She talks about how she struggled with being a new mom at 40, which sounds entirely normal:

Not surprisingly, the New York tabloids have some fun at her expense:

[​IMG]

Which leads the Mayor to call for an apology:

Mika Brzezinski has been on the verge of a breakdown all morning on MSNBC.

I'm sure the daughter's struggles with depression and addiction make the de Blasio's especially sensitive to this issue.

But, I also think it's unrealistic to think you can do a big, glowing profile with a major magazine, and to expect everyone to swallow the narrative you are selling.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Was this after she was a lesbian?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

They tarnished her BRAND.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Bill de Blasio is a putz.

He created a laughable image, turned his family into a 24-hour-a-day photo op during his campaign and actively courted media attention. He used a BS narrative to try to get elected.

It wasn't all that masterful. He really got the nomination by flying under the Christine Quinn / Anthony Weiner circus and then he ran virtually unopposed. Nobody actually liked him, did they? People just slept through the election.

Now that the BS he spun during the campaign is unraveling on him, he doesn't want the tabloid attention.

It doesn't work that way, though, and you can tell that the Post in particular, but also the Daily News, enjoys feasting on him. Given that nobody really likes the guy outside of the clueless latte liberal set in Park Slope, I think it is just going to get worse for him throughout his term.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Well said.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If nobody much likes him, how did he get over 70 percent of the votes in the election? It wasn't that long ago, seven months to be precise.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Aside all that, did the Post misrepresent her quotes by writing the words I was a bad mom? Did she say that in the article? Or did she describe her struggles as a mom?

"Is this accurate and fair" is a more important question, at least to me, than whether the mayor is a likable guy. Being unlikable doesn't justify a paper purposely misleading readers, does it?

Now, if she said it, she said it. But it's not in quotes on the NY Post front.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Whatever anyone thinks of De Blaiso, that New York Post headline is total mommy-wars bullshit.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Record-low turnout. And Joe Lhota (who 99 percent of NY'ers still couldn't pick out of a lineup) as his opponent.

He got more than 70 percent of the less than 25 percent of registered voters who bothered to show up at the poll.

That is apathy, not love.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

That was great passion compared to news out of my birth town, Munising, Michigan, where a whopping 2.5 percent of the registered voters showed up to pick the mayor in a contested race.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

YF sure started out Concerned about her and the behavior of the tabloids toward her, but ended somewhere entirely different in his initial post. That really surprised me.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

She didn't say "I am a bad mom."

It's the Post. Cheap is its starting point. Let's not act like we're talking about a real newspaper here.

Draft saved Draft deleted