1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“Both of you umpires have (coach's) d**k in your mouths and have c*m dripping

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt Stephens, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Probably because no one has heard of this guy, and Kobe Bryant is one of the most famous people in the world? I'm just spitballing, here. I've heard barroom drunks say more racist things than, say, Mel Gibson. It never occurred to me to be upset about the level of social or media attention each got.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Initially, I thought this was the CSU baseball coach. That would have been a decent-sized story.

The club coach? That's as low on the college baseball coaching totem poll as you can get.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Kind of funny that the CSU admin only stepped in because the national club association saw fit to do nothing. I would love to know what kind of conduct does merit discipline in that group's eyes.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Offensive speech is offensive speech, no matter who says it or how much/little attention it gets.

On this board, at least, there is the opportunity for these events to have equal attention and scrutiny. But will the reactions and responses be comparable? Let's find out.

5. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Whatever blows your hair back. I am sure if someone comes on here and claims the guy shouldn't be fired because what he said was "just words" that absurd argument will be met the same way, at least by people in reasonable control of their mental faculties.

6. LongTimeListener

As McGwire has noted, there's a teeny difference in stature between the people who said each thing. But as for the reactions and responses, Kobe paid a meaningless fine and the idiot coach lost this coaching spot and probably will find it impossible to ever get another one at the college level. Seems like in terms of real-world consequences he has paid a much heavier price.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

He hasn't actually lost his job. The head coach, that is. He was suspended for the rest of the season.

Even if he does get fired, somehow I doubt it will affect his day job as a senior manager at Amgen, the huge biotech firm. This guy is paying a much heavier price, you say? He's paying almost no price at all.

I guess it all depends on whether or not GLAAD goes after him. My guess is they won't, because he's a nobody, even though his remarks are undoubtedly far more inflammatory than anything Kobe Bryant uttered in the heat of the moment.

8. LongTimeListener

You're trying to create a false equivalency between two people who are about as far apart on the recognition scale as two people can get, and you're also dramatically overstating the consequences Kobe has faced in the past few days. I would imagine GLAAD and the student groups will go after him hard if the school tries to keep him. If there is a gay support group at Amgen, which I'd bet there is, he may have some serious questions to answer there as well.

I will readily agree that on the scale of "string of words that came out of their mouths," yes, the coach's statement was far more offensive than Kobe's. Other than that, I don't see much basis for comparison between the cases.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

My wife played club volleyball at a big state school...I don't think they even had a coach.

10. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Colorado State, like a lot of school around the region, doesn't have NCAA baseball thanks to Title IX. The club team is officially the school team, just not NCAA level. Just like hockey is big at the school, but the team plays in the ACHA rather than NCAA.

11. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

This isn't the only incident with club teams at CSU, either. Last year I broke a story about a player on the hockey team -- who now plays in the CHL -- being arrested for assaulting a ref after the game:

http://www.collegian.com/index.php/article/2010/03/032310_hockey

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

What do we have to do, match the page totals? Post totals? Word count in total dissenting responses?

I hereby state that this was offensive and the coach shouldn't have said it.

Draft saved Draft deleted