1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

‘Why 60 Minutes aired photos of lynchings’

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 9, 2018.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Central Park Five.

Steak Snabler likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The other day we won the first round defending a civil suit against some public officials for recovery of alleged overpayments. One of the first comments on a Facebook after the story broke: “Can we find out where they live?”

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Here, it just means more.

Smallpotatoes and tapintoamerica like this.
  4. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

The pre-2004 ACC crowd not doing much better.

5. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Starting with women who have abortions and/or miscarriages. /crossthread /baron

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

More like "neck-wrenching," actually.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I watched the segment and the story about the 15,000 people attending a lynching was just sickening. Not sure why they had that disclaimer about showing the pictures. I didn’t think they needed to justify it at all. They should colorize them all and then rebroadcast the entire segment.

Btw, that lampoon segment was painfully unfunny, except for the Trump stunt, which just underscores have stupid and vain he is. Whoever edited that seemed to think that a play on Mark Zuckerberg’s name was the height of hilarity.

8. Dick Whitman

Wertheim's fake laughter throughout was painful.

9. CD Boogie

Has he done such segments before? I mean, Oprah with the segment on lynching, that make sense. Wertheim on National Lampoon just seems like a whiff. I’m sure he’s a very nice man, but it was obvious he wasn’t getting much from the president of the club or the others bc he didn’t have the personality to pull it off.

10. Dick Whitman

I got the feeling that "60 Minutes" went into the segment thinking that they were going to be able to strong-arm a bunch of college kids into yielding better access than they actually did.

I also think that the kind of hoity toities who populate the staff of a show like "60 Minutes" mis-calculated in thinking that 99.9 percent of Americans give a single fuck about what happens behind the scenes at the "Harvard Lampoon."

Wouldn't surprise me if they also thought that they were going to get much better stuff about the diversity angle.

Stoney likes this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, I thought A Futile and Stupid Gesture was pretty good. Critics I read didn't seem to like it too much, though.

12. CD Boogie

Ya mean ya didn’t think it was hysterical that the guy said “frankly” before every sentence?

Dick Whitman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted