1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

‘The upside of office flirtation? I’m living it’

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Were you their boss?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Well, you and others act as if the "it's not hard" play is sooo simple (and riskless). You're right in the main in saying "it's not hard." But there's a ton of room between "in the main" and "universally."

daemon likes this.
  3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

This is a tricky area - especially in the performing arts where it feels like flirting and hugging are basic modes of communication. I think showing interest in someone is fine. Using your power over them should they not reciprocate that interest crosses the line to harassment. Again ... tricky .... how do you ensure that a person below you in the power structure knows that you won't hold it against them?

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Well, now you've done it. You've outed yourself as a member of the rape apologist camp.

HC likes this.
  5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The one I married? I was basically her boss's boss. But she did not report directly to me.

6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

so was the 1980s sitcom, "who's the boss?" really just a show about sexual abuse in the workplace? Was down on his luck Tony forced to be romantically involved by his female boss/landlord/societal superior? Did he "do things" just to make sure his daughter got a better life?

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They weren't romantically involved until late in the show's distance. There always was sexual tension between the two of them, though.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I work in a smallish office (12 full timers and an intern). I'm a department head with no direct reports under me, but I still wouldn't mess with the idea trying to date the women* who are not department heads and not under my watch. It's not a good look. It's still someone who is beneath you in the power structure. Might feel differently if I worked in an office of 100 people and there were women in different departments that I never worked with on a daily basis. I did date someone at a previous job years and years ago, but I was in the newsroom and she was in advertising, worked on the other end of the building and we rarely had any job-related contact.

*-not sure they'd say yes anyway, lol

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

36-24-36? Only if she 5-3.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Nope, I like girls I can look in the eye while we're slow dancing.

It runs in the family. My nephew who just graduated high school is 6-5 and his older sister, who's now in the Navy, is 6' even. They got it from their mother.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I wonder if Jon Hamm will ever be accused of sexual harassment?

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Leaning in for a kiss is attempted sexual assault? GTFO

Draft saved Draft deleted