1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

¿Quien aquí hablan español?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm thinking of finishing up the process. I was always good with languages in high school and college, but I never did enough to become fluent, and now I'm rusty.

For those who speak Spanish, how often do you use it? Has it improved your life or career in any way?

2. I'm in the same boat. Spent about a month living in Mexico fully immersed about seven years ago, then started off as a double-major in Spanish in college. Living in Florida, it's pretty nifty. I'm able to understand everything still, but I'm a little out of practice speaking-wise.

I feel like it would only take me a day or two to drop right back in it if I were immersed again and had to speak it. Would love to get back into speaking fluently, just don't have the time for it anymore.

3. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I know just enough to get myself in trouble. I wish I had more time to practice. My vocabulario has seriously deteriorated over the last three decades.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

My Spanish was better when there was a Mexican strip joint up the way ... now that it's closed, I'm pretty much all gringo all the time! :D

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Speak Amurrrican, Dammitt!!!!!!

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

We ware in the communications business. Being able to speak another language is very useful. I love talking to Latino ball players in their native tongue. It works really well in a press conference when everyone, especially the TV airheads, asks you what did they say and you tell them to get a translator.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Donde esta su hall pass?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ivate a la mierda!

I can still understand much of what is said. I could watch Univision and get the general idea of what is being said. I used to be able to speak it pretty well, but I've been out of practice since I left California. :D

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I speak fluent taco truck Spanish.
    In all other settings, my Spanish almost nada.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

yo hablo espanol pero comprendo muy poco

11. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

If you're under 40 in this business, ambitious and looking for a long life in it, learn it.

Draft saved Draft deleted