1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Professional wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Oct 27, 2006.

1. I can't agree with that.
    His skills have declined majorly over the years, and that faux MMA (the best striker in the business!) B.S. is ridiculous.

Plus, who has Undertaker ever put over, besides already established superstars (from whom he almost always got his win back)?

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Part of it is he gets put in with guys who don't deserve to be put over in the first place (Mark Henry, Khali, Hassan). I thought he gave Mr. Kennedy a decent rub, to the point where he looks like a top-card guy more and more (he probably would have been there anyway, but this helped the process).

And that they've made a big deal about his perfect WM record SHOULD mean they'll make a really big deal out of the guy who breaks it. With WWE, though, that's a big should. If they waste it on Batista, then all hope is lost.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

They tried that, but it didn't last for long. Chris Jericho couldn't handle pulling double duty after long...

What is this? WCW?

It's not that he's been relegated there. He wanted a less demanding travel schedule, and SD offers him that.

Am I the only that's not tired of the DX/RKO angle?

4. I suppose now would be a good time to mention I've got front row seats for ROH's 5th anniversary show in Dayton next month.

Here's that Culture of Forced Mediocrity column.

Makes some good points if you can get past all the self-congratulatory Barry Horowitz-esque self-back slapping he does about his own brilliance.

http://www.onlineonslaught.com/columns/oo/20060210.shtml

5. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

I am really hoping ROH makes it to the west coast, some day. Hell, they can go to England and Japan but not the left coast? Dammit.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Apparently tonight's ECW was rewritten with an eye towards Wrestle Society X coming on at 10:30 tonight. If that means more old-school ECWness to counteract WSX's craziness, bring it on.

Did anyone see WSX's debut on Friday? I didn't, but heard a lot of good things (particularly if you're into spotfests). This may be the best thing MTV's done in years. Even if it means giving X-Pac (called 6-Pac by WSX) a big push.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Did anyone watch WSX tonight? I thought it was OK, but the fireworks when the guy landed on whatever he landed on was a bit much.

8. You've got PWG out there at least. Basically the same roster, different name.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I liked it enough for what it was. Too much going on at times, and the rumble-style battle royal match was way over the top (as it were) with the electrocutions and whatnot (though I did like the effect of the explosion on the camera, like it almost cut the power). But the Jack Evans-Matt Sydal match was a shitload of fun. Some of the spots were contrived, but them boys got some good air under them.

I also liked the atmosphere. I even liked when whoever the fuck was doing the guest commentary from whatever the fuck band that was talked about how he was into 6-Pac because he was in DX, then put DX over. No petty sniping at WWE; they don't care, they're just throwing out shit and trying to entertain people. They seemed to be having more fun than the WWE and TNA wrestlers, though maybe that's just me. I do want to see Evans and Sydal go again; they're indyland's best flyers.

Oh, and Lizzy Valentine.

[​IMG]

Hot fucking hell. Plus she was trained by Homicide, so you KNOW she's hardcore.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I'm planning to watch WSX when it comes on at 10:30 on the west coast.

Watched ECW tonight (I get the East Coast feed at 7 p.m.) and Taker appeared at the end of the Lashley-Test match. Looks like they are milking it all week on the shows on which way Taker will go. Haven't seen the Smackdown spoilers yet, but I'd think he'd be doing something equal to Raw and ECW appearances. I still think it'll be Taker and Batista, but I think Taker gets a run with the title.

Speaking of ECW, Vinny Mac appeared on a few segments where he ran into various ECW "Originals" backstage and ripped them - Sabu and Balls Mahoney to name a few. He then came to the ring for his segment and put over ... Elijah Burke. Burke talked and complimented VM and said he was a guy to get things done. Sandman, Dreamer, Balls and Sabu proceed to beat the crap out of Burke and VM walks off upset that the Originals messed up his appearance. Wonder what'll happen if he does another appearance on Smackdown to keep this going. One thing is he didn't mention Trump by name of the 40 minutes of ECW that I saw.

Oh yeah, that RVD not signing thing is certainly legit. Another clean pinfall loss to Holly tonight. Is Test's contract up too? He not only got pinned clean by Lashley tonight but he also took a chokeslam from Taker at the end before Taker's staredown with Lashley.

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

If RVD leaves, the only thing that would keep me watching ECW would be Vinnie Mac doing weekly appearances on there. He was funny as hell on there tonight.

12. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

I still can't believe CM Punk jobbed to Striker last night, even though it wasn't clean.

I keep wanting to give ECW a chance, but every time I decide to watch it, something like that happens and I don't watch for another couple months.

Draft saved Draft deleted