1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Jose copy editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by German Ethel Merman, Jan 29, 2007.

1. German Ethel Merman

German Ethel Merman New Member

The San Jose Mercury News is seeking an experienced sports copy editor to add to its copy desk. A successful candidate will have:

— The ability to quickly learn and implement a strong command of the stylebook. A successful candidate will have an eagle eye for a bad lede, a misplaced modifier or a dropped word.

— The ability to parse the wires and compile roundups, as well as write preview capsules and game summaries from box scores.

— An exceptional ability to write clever, accurate and engaging display type.

— The ability to multitask on deadline, swiftly moving from subject to subject, story to story, tone to tone.

— A collegial, upbeat attitude, and the ability to comfortably and confidently discuss stories with reporters, columnist, editors, designers and other colleagues.

Our most successful packages spring from collaboration, and the ideal candidate should be comfortable working with designers and other editors in conceiving display type early on in the process. This is not a wait-for-spex sort of environment, and we value voices and opinions from all corners of the department.

A college degree and at least three years' experience as a sports copy editor at a daily newspaper are preferred.

The Mercury News is located in San Jose, California, where it is rarely below 50 degrees or above 80. We're within an hour's drive of the beach and San Francisco, and about three hours from the ski slopes.

The 40-person Mercury News Sports department covers six professional teams, four Division I universities and dozens of high schools. But we know that our readers aren't all the bat-and-ball type, so we also aim to tell stories outside the mainstream.

Please send a resume, including 10 headline samples and references, to:

Rachel Wilner
    Sports Editor
    San Jose Mercury News
    750 Ridder Park Dr.
    San Jose, CA 95190

No phone calls, please

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Stupid question, and maybe I'm outta the loop here ... but after the 41 newsroom December cuts at the Merc, isn't there a strong possibility there will be more cuts - some time around June?

3. Strong possibility of more cuts.

Strange behavior from my former Knight Ridder cohorts.

How do you explain this: The Mercury News just a few weeks ago laid off several copy editors, including a good guy in sports.

The atmosphere for copy editors all over the newsroom has declined sharply.

4. Jumpin Jack Flash

Jumpin Jack Flash New Member

I guess I am a retard, but why hire someone if you are just going to lay him/her off? It doesn't make any sense.
    This is my favorite paper. The holy grail of places I want to work at. It's sad to see them going through such hard times...

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

From a recent ad on jjobs.com for a news-side copy editor:
    Ad writer seems to be implying that they're not expecting more chops. Either it's blatantly misleading or they know where they stand in the Lean Dean empire.

6. The ad writer you mention above (not the sports editor) is desperate to make a hire. A couple of recent hires fled back to Midwest just before the layoffs occurred or failed to make it through probation. Others have recently left for other newspapers, academia or retirement. Also, the ad writer has not merely gulped down the Kool-Aid but is eager to mix new batches to please the bosses.

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

Cost of living in the area is rather steep.

8. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

I would suspect under Lean Dean's ownership that the pay has come down from what it once was. It's going to be very difficult for them to hire people there. It's the same MO Lean Dean did with the Southern California papers. And everywhere else. This can't come as a surprise.

9. Singleton ownership can only hurt.

But the remaining Knight Ridder managers aren't doing anyone any favors, either.

The paper remains top-heavy with executives and is the definition of top-down management (touchy-feely job postings notwithstanding). Ask any rank and file people ---- outside of page designers --- how they feel they are viewed by the top managers.

And yes: I have very good sources there.

10. Oops. Looks like another copy desk opening at the Merc.
    Can anyone confirm?

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Well, pay would be according to contract scale, I suppose. I doubt the union let scale go down in the recent contract, no?

12. When my friend interviewed there, they told her that if she had "officially" two years of experience, they would give her credit for four years and thus bring her in at a higher salary. Almost impossible to live there on entry-level pay.

But now they are hiring young people at that cut-rate price.

Also, they would frequently pay substantial over-scale for veterans. Not any more.

Draft saved Draft deleted