1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

carlsbad current-argus

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by txsportsscribe, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Whoever takes the job must -- MUST -- cover a game at Artesia's Bulldog Bowl. Carlsbad is 5A and usually plays Artesia (4A) every year. Artesia is the New York Yankees of New Mexico football with 25-26 state titles. Their subterrainean stadium was built with oil money, and it's unbelievable to watch a game there Friday nights.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Not if you're covering Goddard and they get their ass handed to them to again. Sammy J does not like losing to Artesia.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Sammy J is one of my favorite coaches of all time.

4. Spent a a couple days in Carlsbad on a road trip; don't believe the hype and stay away from the bat caves -- big waste of time. As for living there, only do it if you're from a small town and are used to having nothing to do. However, if this is your first job out of school, it could be worse. We spent about two weeks driving through NM, and aside from Albuquerque -- maybe Las Cruces and as a last resort Santa Fe -- I can't think of a place in New Mexico where a younger person would want to live. But, if you're married with kids, it could be a nice place to raise a family.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

The Artesia girls' basketball coach is a douche.

I enjoyed covering the RHS Ghetto 'Yotes. :)

6. Clever username

Ruidoso has a niceness to it. And a lot of famous people have digs in Taos. Salma Hayek, for one, does.

7. Clever username

I can't believe I just defended New Mexico.

Draft saved Draft deleted