1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Green Bay's Chris Havel fired

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lantaur, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

what i don't get, everyone in wisconsin regularly scooped the Green Bay crew. Milwaukee's guy was putting them to shame.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Milwaukee's got two of the very best beat guys in all the NFL in McGinn and Silverstein.

Green Bay's guys -- Dougherty and Demovsky -- are very good also.

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

But no one - except Havel, it seems - had the inside track to Favre.

4. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

Yeah, but you have to admit Norm, the dropoff is Grand Canyon-esque in terms of Packers coverage.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

exactly!!

6. Norman Stansfield

Without a doubt.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I have no inside knowledge, but is it possible that the Green Bay paper tolerated Havel because of his connection with Favre? And now that Favre is about to retire, they have no use for him?

Just wondering.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Gotta admit . . . . this is when the Information Age really sucks.

Would be nightmarish to find one's recent termination discussed on the Web, especially by one's peers.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

The State Journal's Jason Wilde is very, very solid as well.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I dunno. When someone who is deemed likeable gets canned, they are usually feted on here.

11. Norman Stansfield

A little too touchy-feely for my tastes for an NFL writer, but yes, he is good.

12. PP and K

PP and K New Member

That's not the case. Havel's firing had nothing to do with Favre. He used to be able to get Favre but a long time ago. He used to be Green Bay's beat writer when Favre was starting with the Packers. But it's like one guy grew up and the other one didn't. Then it was more like he could get some people in Favre's family (wife, mom, brother, dad when he was alive) but not the QB.

Draft saved Draft deleted