1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best NBA writers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bballscribe, Jan 20, 2007.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I always enjoy Sam Smith's wacky trade proposals.

Any day now, I expect the Bulls to trade Luol Deng and Ben Gordon for some combination of Shaq, Kobe and Kevin Garnett.

2. TheCommish

TheCommish New Member

Gotta add Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Mark Heisler.

4. Kool-Aid

Kool-Aid Member

Gotta go with my boy Brian Hendrickson covering Portland for the Vanouver Columbian. He's still figuring the league out, but I have to think the learning process speeds up when you're covering the Jail Blazers.

5. So funny, yet so true. Sam's been pushing for a Garnett trade for years, even when Chicago had nothing to offer except draft picks and Benny the Bull.

I like the Bulls beat writer for the Tribune, K.C. Johnson. His game stories and reader Q-and-A segments (Web only) are usually enjoyable reads.

6. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

Are McNeal or Spears still beat reporters?

7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Was gonna say the same thing. Sam Smith.
    And, not sure he's the best out there overall, but I enjoyed reading Brian Windhorst and all of his Cavs features.

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I spoke with a former NBA player the other night who spent a couple years on the Nets back in the late 90s. He said Dave D's nickname among the players was Booger.

That wasn't his nickname in the business, too, I hope...

9. JonathanG

JonathanG Member

Not a beat guy at all, but David Thorpe has been fantastic in a very short time thus far at ESPN. I've always liked Ira Winderman of the Sun-Sentinel too.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

I second the emotion. Dave D is somebody who doesn't blindly accept conventional wisdom. And he's a real good guy.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Ditto. His columns get league reaction. Not many left who can.

12. I have always liked Jason Quick (Portland) and Brian Windhorst (ABJ Cavs).

Haven't been getting my fill of NBA stuff on the papers lately, but generally those two have been my favorites the past few years.

Draft saved Draft deleted