1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama takes the big leap

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jan 16, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

As expected, he's now offically in the race for 2008:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070116/pl_nm/usa_politics_obama_dc_3

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Good for him. He's got an excellent shot at the nomination, so now it's up to him to prove to the American public that's not familiar with him, why they should vote for him.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Four of the last five presidents have been governors. He's got no shot.

4. WSKY

WSKY Member

This guy is a stud, I hope he gains enough momentum in the next 16 months to slap Hilary to the side.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Agreed.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

43 of the last 43 presidents have been white. He's got no shot.

7. Armchair_QB

Actually I don't think that's as big an obstacle as the fact he's got zero experience running anything.

8. WSKY

WSKY Member

But Bush is a hillbilly, so it's proven anyone can win a presidential election.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hope he gets the nomination just so we'll find out how well his candidacy will do in the south...

10. This means very little. Evan Bayh from Indiana went through the same process, then decided not to run. This is a formality.

11. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I'm excited and nervous. I think the guy might be the real deal. But I'm preparing myself to be let down hard. God forbid he has any serious skeletons in his closet -- the confessions of doing pot and coke are minor. Or he turns out to be just another crooked politician. (I thought Bill Clinton would be a breath of fresh air and he was a huge, huge disappointment.)
    And I really don't know if America is ready yet for a president who is a youngish black man with a name that sounds a hell of a lot like Public Enemy No. 1. Maybe in 2012 or 2016...

12. Armchair_QB

He was also the governor of one of the biggest states in the Union. Bit more experience than a one-term senator. Hell, Clinton ran one of the most backward states in America and he still got elected.

The winner will be somebody who's been in elected office for awhile. Come 2012 Obama's got a much better shot.

Draft saved Draft deleted