1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE, Miami Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Claws for Concern, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Who is Bill Passonno?

Enlighten us.

2. And for what it's worth, I nominate cityemployee for the Fucktard of the Year award, though it's early.

Don't fuck with FrankRidgeway, fucktard. He knows his stuff, and I'll bet you're, what, 27? I'm wondering what you bring to the table, other than some shiny little shit who doesn't understand what it takes to work on the desk, each and every night.

Every night on a major desk is hard, schoolboy. Come on down sometime, and we'll see what you got.

It probably ain't much, but it helps if you can spell a little.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Boy, that's some great shit. :)

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

[​IMG]
    Yeah!​

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Spelling is the least of it.

What a shit sandwich this guy is.

6. boots

boots New Member

Gotta chime in here. Both Frank and I have done time in Miami. The city has changed greatly in many ways since we've lived there. However, I still visit regularly and I, personally, find it to be the most negative and racially hostile city in Amerikkka. And that's saying a lot. It doesn't matter who you are, you are stereotyped before anyone knows you.
    And that also includes those with money as well.
    As for the paper, it has gone down tremendously. It'sd no longer thought of highly by many HOWEVER, it's still thought of as the best in the Sunshine State on any given day. And that's not taking a slight at the Orlando Sentinel or the St. Pete Times or the Tampa Tribune.
    If you can get in there, do so. The experience is worthwhile in many ways.

7. cityemployee

cityemployee New Member

Hawkeyes4ever, while you're picking corn I AM working at a major daily ... I wish I was 27 again ... Frank Ridgeway is just a big baby complaining about the harsh conditions or what were the harsh conditions at a big-time paper ... Ridgeway probably knows his shit ... WHO CARES? ... there are a lot of people that know their shit ...

My thought initially was to some crying rant he had ... if the job is too hard at a major daily, including the Miami Herald ... quit ... bottom line ... underpaid, overworked ... BLAH, BLAH, BLAH ... I've had months where I had just 4 days off ... I just whistled my way to the bank.

I get a kick out of these war veterans of major dailies, sitting around talking about tough they had it ... get a freaking life.

Hawkeyes4ever (fucktard?) and Columbo (shit sandwich?) are the early leaders for the Sportsjournalists.com losers of the year.

8. boots

boots New Member

I don't know u from a can of wet shit but I do know Ridgeway has forgotten more wars than you've ever seen. You're at a major. Great. Learn from it. Don't think for one minute that you're at the top of the food chain. I know several folks who just got shown the door who were at nice gigs.
    The shit that people say on these threads never ceases to amaze me.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

shittyemployee,

Perhaps if you had any friends or hobbies or kids or a social life you might regret working every day. But since you don't seem to have any prospects in that direction, congrats. Enjoy the money.

10. satchmo

satchmo Member

So, is the new ASE position in Miami for a fuck-sandwich or a shit-tard? I thought I understood what was going on here, but ... god, these things are so hard to keep straight.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Cityemployee, just based on your spelling I find it hard to believe that you pull your own weight at the major daily for which you allegedly work. Somebody has to be cleaning up your stuff. There is a difference between just putting in hours and busting your ass.

What separates the Herald, at least in the past, from the vast majority of sports desks is the amount of fact-checking the desk did. If you were doing a roundup, for instance, you'd be calling up the agate for every game and fact-checking whether it was indeed a single to right rather than a single to center. On every fact for every game. Winning pitcher's record, check. One hit and a strikeout in five innings, check. You'd be logged into the library system 20 times a night. We had an agate person, but the readback editor was responsible for looking at all the standings on the proofs and totaling everything to ensure AP hadn't screwed it up. Same with horse racing; you'd be checking selections against entries to ensure that A.) the horse was running in that race and B.) the horse's name was spelled correctly. I've spent almost my entire career on large newspapers and nowhere else did as much fact-checking as the Herald did. It is not only time-consuming, but extremely stressful to do all that extra work on deadline, especially if you are dealing with six deadlines a night and ripping up most of the section for each of them. You can talk tough, but until you've done it, you can't possibly know.

12. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

The arrogance of people contributing to the death spiral of a major industry is truly breathtaking.

Draft saved Draft deleted