1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Live in Michigan? Don't cheat on your wife

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Perry White, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070115/COL04/701150333

In a ruling sure to make philandering spouses squirm, Michigan's second-highest court says that anyone involved in an extramarital fling can be prosecuted for first-degree criminal sexual conduct, a felony punishable by up to life in prison.
    "Technically," he added, "any time a person engages in sexual penetration in an adulterous relationship, he or she is guilty of CSC I," the most serious sexual assault charge in Michigan's criminal code.

The ruling is especially awkward for Attorney General Mike Cox, whose office triggered it by successfully appealing a lower court's decision to drop CSC charges against a Charlevoix defendant. In November 2005, Cox confessed to an adulterous relationship.

2. Don't engage in incest, either [/Drive By Truckers]

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But if you're hitting the Wendy's drive-thru late at night and naked behind the wheel of your SUV, it's only a misdemeanor -- so good news there!

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Let's see how many free agents sign with Detroit teams now!

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Detroit homie ... Detroit!

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You laugh, but I guarantee that will come up in a conversation between a player and an agent someday.

"I really want to go to Detroit. They're offering me a lot more money than Texas."

"You do realize, if you get caught cheating on your wife in Michigan, you could go to jail."

"Ok, Texas it is."

More seriously, can't you just see some district attorney using this to try to nail somebody famous.

Then again, this is the same legal system that allows Leonard Little to still be out there getting DUI's even after he killed a woman while driving drunk....maybe if he gets traded to the Lions, he'll cheat on his wife or diddle another man's spouse and end up in jail where he belongs...

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

This can't be constitutional. Ever.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

There. Fixed.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Just think if the Suns had traded Kidd to the Pistons!

Granted, you shouldn't cheat on your spouse. I'm not arguing that one. But it's a crime that should be paid in dollars, not time in jail.

The legal system is screwed up if you could possibly get life for this while murderers serve only a dozen or so years. Some rapist get released after only a few years. Then you have people convicted of drug crimes spend the rest of their life in prison.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

cue breakfast table in suburban Detroit, husband puts down Free Press and cereal spoon:

"Honey, I think we should move."

"Why?"

"Ohhhhh...no reason (folds news section, shoves under classifieds). So how does Florida sound?"

12. trounced

trounced Active Member

I guess Belichick won't be coaching the Lions any time soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted