1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush on "60 Minutes"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wonkintraining, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Good stuff, for the most part.

I'm often surprised at how uncomfortable Bush can be in front of cameras or in live press conference situations one minute, how collected and composed he can be the next. He struggled, it seemed, after leaving the room with the families of slain soldiers. Understandable, I suppose, but I wish he was more eloquent in such situations. Imagine Clinton or Kennedy ...

The "I watched Saddam's hanging, but not all the way to the end" was his, "I smoked it, but I didn't inhale" moment.

When an interviewer mines a vein he's passionate about, though, W. can hold his own. That happened near the end, when they were talking about specifics of the escalation. He was somewhat impressive in his conviction.

Sometimes, however, he just seems like the player you interview who you can't seem to pull more than a sentence or two out of. I guess I want more out of the leader of the free world.

He's certainly a different person than the very green one who decided to run for president nine years ago. I can't imagine he had any idea what the gravity of the position was, or how much would rest on his shoulders. I'd imagine that at age 25 ... even at age 40, he was the one saying that he doesn't give a damn what happens thousands of miles away. He's obviously well aware now of what a global world we live in.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Can't believe I'm gonna write this.

But I thought he came off very well.

Best I have ever seen him on camera.

Human and somewhat presidential.

3. He seems to finally understand that sarcasm and condescension is no way to deal with the media. I think he took a lot of his persona from Rumsfeld and Cheney. Big mistake. There is a reason those guys never ran for president, chock full as their resumes are. Emulating their dealings with the press, as much as he respects and admires them, was a miscalculation.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Duke lacrosse segment was a hell of a lot better. I'd vote for Seligmann's mom for president. She just shoved a hot poker right up Nifong's ass. Wait, that was the guy who graduated already's mom.
    Hell, they were all very good.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Andy Rooney RIPPING sports pages, sports editors about team nicknames in headlines being too confusing. Rich.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

He seemed to handle the interview pretty well.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Bush seems untroubled by deep thoughts. He simply believes that he is right and that anything different is wrong.

His single enduring personality trait is his refusal to take responsibility for anything which has gone wrong.

8. BaysideTiger

BaysideTiger Member

Loved how Rooney couldn't figure out what sport the Coyotes and Thrashers play even though the clip on the screen read "NHL Roundup" right above the Coyotes-Thrashers headline. ::)

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I watched it. As if evidence were necessary, he's every bit the small-minded little man with clear sociopathic symptoms /we thought he was/ in 2000 or before, a clear village fucking idiot incapable of empathy for the people's struggles that he and his won't stoop to acknowledge.

This chimp with his finger on the nuclear detonator (and prepared to invade Iran when the Supers Bowls is over) is mentally ill, a moron unable to separate pleasure from pain -- a reality that should terrify every world citizen.

10. Did you really get that from this? I've gotten that from him in the past - like I said, I've thought it was him trying to emulate the Rumsfeld-Cheney model of leadership, which may work in their offices but not in his.

I think he does think about these things. I think he believes - or believed, past tense - that it is a sign of weakness to admit that he has thought things through.

This administration does not articulate things well, Bush included. They get defensive. That turns people off.

There are valid reasons for a troop increase - the worst course of action was no course of action. Either we do it right or we get out. I understand that. But W. and Co. won't articulate it to Congress or the American public, and it just drives me crazy on their behalf.

They have deep thoughts. They simply don't believe that their audience does.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

It's a different world. He ran for office in a trivial time when the major issues of the day were nonsense compared to what he ran into.

12. He ran on faith-based initiatives, education and tax cuts, initially. And he assembled a dream team to learn him on world politics just so he didn't embarrass himself in that arena.

Draft saved Draft deleted