1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for something more? Editor, Trenton, NJ

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Diego Marquez, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Or something to step in...

Company: Journal Register Co.
    Position: Trentonian Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: February 12, 2007
    Job ID: 722007

Description:
    The Trentonian, the best-read local news leader in New Jersey's competitive capital city, is seeking an editor. A strong background in sports is essential. Seeking a newsroom leader who wants to win. Send letter, resume and examples of your work to Matt DeRienzo, care of The Trentonian, 600 Perry St., Trenton, N.J. 08618, or e-mail mderienzo@journalregister.com.

A legit opportunity for a sportster to take over a "newsroom."
    Please begin roasting nuts below.

2. Paging BYH. BYH, please pick up the yellow courtesy phone.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ahem. *cracking knuckles*

Company: Journal Register Co. (RUN!!!!)
    Position: Trentonian Editor
    Job Status: Full-time (you'll get no time off, ever)
    Salary: Not Specified (think low,. very very low)
    Ad Expires: February 12, 2007 (or whenever we find a sucker to fill this gig)
    Job ID: 722007

Description:
    The Trentonian (ROASTED NUTS), the best-read (hoo boy) local news leader in New Jersey's competitive capital city (yes, getting from point A to point B is competitive...can you dodge the bullets?), is seeking an editor (AGAIN!). A strong background in sports (and knowing how to line up the Rutgers boxscore so Jelenic is happy) is essential. Seeking a newsroom leader (not necessary) who wants to win (and is prepared for a Cumberland vs. Georgia Tech beatdown). Send letter, resume and examples of your work to Matt DeRienzo (corporate kissass), care of The Trentonian, 600 Perry St., Trenton, N.J. 08618, or e-mail mderienzo@journalregister.com. (No phone calls, Jelenic finally cut the lines)

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what do you say yawn? you always wanted to be an ebitiore.

this bad boy has your name written all over it.

5. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

To make a long story short, Carl got fired because he wouldn't fire Sock.
    Sock (I don't know his real name, Eric Soccasomething) was responsible for a prep hockey page. There was an error in the box score, and Jelenic spotted the error, phoned miniature Kevin Bacon with a bad haircut (the publisher) and ordered that Sock be fired. Carl, the editor, to his credit, refused. Not sure about this, but I think miniature Kevin Bacon (Bill Murray, not the actor, but the moron) fired Sock regardless. Since the staff was so shorthanded over Christmas due to vacations, departures, firing, etc., Bill Murray, again, not the actor, but the moron, told Carl to cancel vacations and call people in. Carl, to his credit, refused again, and was terminated.
    So you still wanna work for this steaming pile of horse excrement?

6. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

And as long as they can get enough people to work for them to put out a product (quality be damned), such practices will continue.

Oh, and from what I heard, it was a mislabeled box score on the NHL page, not the prep hockey page.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

BYH, those posts always make me smile.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Hey, Bob, how's that stock price doing?

9. This is begging for me to make yet another politically incorrect reference to the JRC as "The Taliban of Sports Journalism," but I've been admonished by the PC crowd in the past. So I'll just advise any prospective candidates with loved ones -- wives, kids, pets, fiancees, hobbies, etc. -- to stay away. Far, far away.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Before they cut the place to pieces, they actually did sometimes bring in proven talent to lead the newsroom and sports department. No matter who it was or what credentials they brought, they lasted no longer than less qualified editors. The successful candidate is virtually guaranteed of being unemployed within two to 24 months of taking this job. Consider, too, that the paper has lost a third of its circulation over the past 10 years. That's actually not bad compared with the JRC papers in Connecticut, and the competing daily's circulation has shrunk by an equal amount, but there will be progressively less resources to work with.

11. SportsRUs

SportsRUs New Member

suburbia sure seems to have his fingers on the Trentonian's pulse, that's for sure!

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Does the Trentonian have a pulse?

Draft saved Draft deleted