1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE, Miami Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Claws for Concern, Oct 20, 2006.

1. cityemployee

cityemployee New Member

The only one who is ignorant is you ... I know and have known people in Miami and they enjoyed their experience. The point I'm trying to make is that if you are unhappy on the desk, any desk, quit. I don't care if it's Miami or Myrtle Beach.

Miami's different? Thanks for the news flash. I work at a major daily and it's different then the low-level dailies I worked at previously. Every paper is different.

The only people that are ignorant are the people that go to a major daily and think it is going to be easy.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You spell like Boom.

I win.

3. cityemployee

cityemployee New Member

you're arguement still sucs ... you lost, Fank

Go tell some more Miami war stories at your local dive bar ... How tough you are for surviving that incredible experience ... show the patrons your medals

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Hahahaha. They're calling your event at the Special Olympics. Hurry!

5. cityemployee

cityemployee New Member

War hero ... Frank Ridgeway

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My time in Miami was after Frank, and I believe after SF as well (I don't know either one), but, yeah, it's different, and it's kind of hard to explain. But, it's fast, it's frantic, it's frustrating, it's exhilarating, it's rewarding, and, yeah, it's hard. It shocked me at first, too, but I think I adjusted pretty well. There are some things I don't miss. There are many things I do miss.

7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

BROWru incoming, Chico!

8. gridiron

gridiron Member

Look, the expectations in Miami are sky high, for reporters and editors. You go there to work, but you'll be better for it (and extremely tired) in the end. Working there made a man out of me.

9. From what everyone tells me, the Herald sports desk of the '80s, and maybe into the early '90s, was as good as it gets. A certain spirit was built up that's hard to find, so people didn't mind busting ass.

Are there any copy desks like that now? Just wondering where ........?

10. sheos

sheos Member

The Herald's everything (sports, news, etc), was as good as it gets back then.

11. For what it's worth, Frank Ridgeway's perspective matched what I saw in Miami.

Everyone works hard these days, but nobody wants to work crazy.

It was crazy shit down there. Four copy editors on the desk that night. For a major paper with big-time beats.

12. Pi

Pi Member

Bill Passonno is a god-damned genius. I've seen him do the work of four men.

Draft saved Draft deleted