1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cowlishaw's split deal?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jan 4, 2007.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Can anybody out there confirm some rumors about DMN columnist Tim Cowlishaw? Apparently, he's cut himself a deal where he'll cover NASCAR for ESPN.com on weekends while remaining a DMN columnist. Also, the word is that the DMN is paying Cowlishaw $250 k per year.

2. Kable

Kable Member

Hey, if all of this is true, more props to Cowlishaw.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I barely knew Cowlishaw still worked for the DMN. He's done one column a week for the last month for the print edition and sat in on a few Web chats. But it wouldn't surprise me for the DMN to acquiesce to him, in its situation.

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Wow, $250K and a side deal. Total props if that's true.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

All that scratch for pure milquetoast.... wow.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I like the guy personally, but can't totally disagree with this statement, Columbo.

7. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

mmmm... milquetoast [/drool]

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If you think Cowlishaw is milquetoast, Kevin Sherrington will make you lactose intolerant.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I've always thought that other than Galloway, Dallas/FW has had an incongruently poor bunch of opinion purveyors when considering the greatness of the sections.

10. Blushing

Blushing Member

I heard Cowlishaw threatened to sue when they didn't offer him the buyout, and the DMN, in turn, gave him a bonus and a raise. But this says a great deal about the DMN, whose management, of course, has a reputation for being mercenary, anal-retentive and unprincipled. If Cowlishaw, who can't write and almost never entertains or provokes, is making 250k, then the DMN management is worse than mercenary, worse than anal-retentive and worse even than unpricipled: It's dumber than anybody ever imagined.

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

RE: Cowlishaw supposedly threatening to sue if he didn't get a buyout offer ...

Has the world turned upside down when an employee threatens to sue his employer when the employer DOESN'T fire the employee?

12. Tim Cowlishaw

Tim Cowlishaw New Member

What anyone thinks of DMN management or my fine writing is their business. What I make is my business although for the sake of overstressed underappreciated DMN employees, it's not in the ballpark with 250K nor will it be anytime soon.
    The DMN has allowed me to do a deal with ESPN where I will continue to appear on ATH from time to time and do a lot of NASCAR-related programming and some writing for espn.com although the writing is a minor part of the deal. I hope.
    I did not threaten to sue anyone at the DMN.
    I did not threaten to hire a lawyer to see if I could sue anyone at the DMN.
    And I always write more than once a week although perhaps whoever wrote that was suggesting I write something interesting or intelligible once a week.
    Which might be true.

Draft saved Draft deleted