1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts on the Democrat & Chronicle newspaper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rookie23, Jan 1, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

2. Rookie23

Rookie23 Member

What is the cost of living in Rochester? I was just wondering what a decent yearly salary would be in that area. I would like to make enough to splurge on more than cheese and crackers everyday.

3. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

Rookie -- people are wondering where you got wind of this opening, so in exchange for the info below, kindly let us know...

Cost of living is relatively low -- you can buy a nice house in the suburbs for $75-150K, or live in the city (there are some great cultural/artsy areas) and pay $6-800 a month in rent for a 2 BR.

Gas and taxes, however, in Monroe County and NY State as a whole are outrageous. And the winter time is usually pretty nasty.

As for the salary, I'd guess a new hire to the department might fall around $30-35K. But that's just a guess.

4. Jeff_Albertson

Jeff_Albertson New Member

Decent paper, decent pay. Depending on your experience, you probably can expect a starting salary in the $32-35K range for a full-time reporter gig. That's doable in the area. Rent is higher downtown; it's actually cheaper to buy a house in the burbs. And of course, Wegman's is pricey but worth every penny. And, of course, there's Nick Tahou's Garbage Plate, which is nearby and the stuff clogged arteries are made of.

If someone is leaving, I haven't heard (and I'm pretty connected there). As previously stated, there isn't much in the way of turnover. Preps are huge, as is the AHL team (which plays across the street), the Cuse and especially the Bills, which hold camp at St. John Fisher there every summer. Sabres get good coverage.

SE, Tom Batzold, has been there a long time, as have most of the ASEs. EE has been in place for about 6 years, and she was the ME before that.

Rochester isn't a bad place, if you don't mind 300 plus days of overcast skies (trust me, you'll miss the sun). An hour from the Cuse, a little more from Buffalo and a couple from Niagara Falls and Toronto. Culture is decent during the summer. Snow is bad during the winter. Very working-class kind of city that relies heavily (though not as much as it once did) on Kodak and Xerox.

PM for more specifics.

5. Jim Halpert

Jim Halpert Member

First Dinosaur BBQ, now we bring up Wegmans and Tahou's...I'm starting to really miss home, not to mention feeling extremely hungry. Throw in a Bill Gray's cheeseburger and I might just have to hop in my car and head back there.

6. boots

boots New Member

Dinosaur BBQ is outstanding. Rochester is a nice depressing rust belt city. As far as anyone leaving, there may be one person but that's been whispered about for quite a while.

Draft saved Draft deleted