1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose, Never-Ending Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zizzer, Mar 1, 2006.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Thus bringing things full circle from McHead's opener vs. Charlton (stuffed home a saved Bocanegra header).

McBride was a beast in the air, drawing praise from The Bitchy One.
    Boca scores for the first time since his winner against Newcastle.
    RunDMB scores the winner against West Ham (burning Spector and Les Rio[/i] Anton Ferdinand in the process).

Not a bad holiday season for YAs. :)

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Really good game from Beasley today against Everton. And Manyoo slips up thanks to a great goal by Edgar to give Chelski a chance to claw their way back a little tomorrow.

3. FCE

FCE Member

still no excuse against sheffield. arsenal was horrible in that match -- baptista finally gets a start and is hardly a beast, everybody else giving the ball away way too easily. my gunners can't play in the muck, and they can't play when teams get physical with them. and while sheffield certainly puts in a lot of effort and has won a few games lately, they simply are not very good.

now the word is wenger might bring back henry for tuesday against charlton because of the lack of healthy forwards -- van persie, baptista, walcott and adebayor all hurt. then, by the way, arsenal gets liverpool saturday in the fa cup and again tuesday in the carling cup, then at blackburn (always a tough one for the gunners) on the following saturday. ugh.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Fulham is the landing ground for another U.S. player. Dempsey's rights obtained by the Cottagers for a reported $2.96 million (about 1.5 million pounds). The transfer window is officially open.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=398460&cc=5901

I like this, gives him compatriots in McBride and Bocanegra to play with, and his aggressive style should suit the premier league very nicely. There is a report on the BBC that he hasn't played enough internationals to get a work permit, but I think the tribunal should let it through.

Noiw everyone be quiet, Chelsea-Aston Villa's on.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Rangers won today. I was happy about that. However, there is definitely trouble at Ibrox...

Paul LeGuen, someone I believe should be fired, chose to end Barry Ferguson's stay at Rangers. What a fucking dick. One of the coolest memories I have is walking across the San Francisco Hilton's lobby during the Rangers Convention and having Barry wave to my buddy and I asking us to sit and join him.

Guys would come up and try to drag him away to their group and he refused to go. He was certainly hammered, but he had no qualms handing us beer. He turned and said at one time, "What is your local club?" The answer was, at the time, "The MetroStars." His response was, "Well, imagine them giving you a contract and then naming you captain. It is an unbelievable feeling."

Sure, he could have been bullshitting but that would have required a much clearer mind. At that point he was so gone, it was Barry being Barry. And now they are saying he will never play another game for Rangers.

Fuck PLG. Possibly the worst hire in Gers history.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I know the blue side of Glasgw is majorly hacked off at this. Who could they get to take over though? Now, Rangers have to sell him, probably at a reduced rate. Whoever gets him has a stud on their hands.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

There were reports that Barry would attend today's fixture as a fan. That was nixed with an emergency meeting with team ownership. Murray flew up specifically because of this. He did a ton of work to bring Barry back from Blackburn.

I'm wondering if PLG is looking to get fired. None of his acquisitions have done shit this year. The team looks like crap on the pitch. It is a disaster.

You would think that he could learn the Scottish game, but he can't. ;)

I’m not certain where they will go or where they should go. Anyplace but France would be a good start.

As to his replacement... how about an inanimate carbon rod?

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The only choice here is to fire PLG and re-instate Ferguson as captain. While it's a sign the inmates have taken over the asylum, it's the only option right now. I don't know who'd take this job now though.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I'm not sure if that would really be the message. PLG just hasn't been a good fit. I recognize that it is his first year, but it isn't good.

As to the job... If you do it right, you are guaranteed at least second place and a shot in Europe every year.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

But remember what Rangers was. At one point the checkbook was open and the goal was to make the team one of the best in Europe. When they beat Leeds in the Champions League it was huge and there was talk of the two Glasgow teams being able to compete in the premier league.

Now they're being run poorly and the money isn't there anymore to attract the talent they used to get.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

That was Murray getting the team out of debt and back to a level footing. There is some money, just not that much. Also, I think the comparison's of the EPL was just not going to happen when the big dogs over there started spending money like there was no tomorrow.

PLG did have money to work with. He just chose to raid the wrong team and pick up crap players.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

But the Premier League teams can afford to spend like there's no tomorrow because of the TV deal. Rangers and Celtic get a cut of that, they'd be competitive at least.

On a side note, Chelsea's slide continues 0-0 against Aston Villa. They need something right now. Who's it gonna be?

Draft saved Draft deleted