1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Page Desginer, New Britain, CT

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Diego Marquez, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

From JJobs...

Company: The Herald
    Position: Seeking sports designer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: January 23, 2007
    Job ID: 714643

Description:
    The Herald of New Britain, Conn., is expanding and we need your help. If you have a desire to work in sports, design QuarkXPress pages, and spend your evenings talking sports, then this job is for you. We have an immediate opening for a page designer to create exciting, tabloid-sized pages for our daily paper located in central Connecticut. Previous page design experience preferred. Send electronic samples of your work along with a resume to Editor Brian Straight at bstraight@newbritainherald.com or via USPS to Brian Straight, editor, One Herald Square, New Britain, CT 06050. No phone calls.

Discuss, while sitting in traffic.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

"Page Desginer" -- sometimes life hands you material.

With the page design crowd, it's nearly a constant flow.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ahem.

Description:
    The Herald of New Britain, Conn., is expanding (good fucking God, eight words in and the lies are already balls deep...it's the JRC!!! Once we buy the paper, the word EXPANSION is not in our vocabulary!!!) and we need your help (they sure do). If you have a desire to work in sports (do not come here), design QuarkXPress pages (do not come here), and spend your evenings talking sports (then go to a bar), then this job is for you (no it's not). We have an immediate opening (that we'll wait several months to fill because Jelenic wants to go to Chile for vacation) for a page designer to create exciting (not mandatory), tabloid-sized (good God they turned it into a tabloid? ROASTED NUTS!!!) pages for our daily paper located in central Connecticut (don't be fooled, it's still bumfuck, but West Farms Mall is nice). Previous page design experience preferred (but most certainly not required, what is required is a willingness to work cheap). Send electronic samples of your work (we got rid of the P.O. Box to help fund Jelenic's trip to Chile) along with a resume (that's optional) to Editor Brian Straight (give me the scoop Straight!) at bstraight@newbritainherald.com or via USPS to Brian Straight, editor, One Herald Square, New Britain, CT 06050 (ok but we really prefer you don't send mail). No phone calls (Jelenic just cut the lines).

4. DrRosenpenis

DrRosenpenis Member

Very nice!

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yes, BYH's JRC-related posts are the stuff of legend.

Notice, their ads never mention JRC. I wonder why.

6. As I said when the sports editor job opened up here, run far away from this one. This is not a place to be at.

7. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

Brian Straight is a good guy to work with ...

As far the paper itself: RUN. FAR. AWAY.

I'd rather stick a rusty railroad spike in my eye than go back there.

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I did not work for straight directly at my former shop, but those I know who did despised him (can't say that I blamed them). He fits JRC like a glove.
    However, Brian, if you're reading this, you'll be happy to know your old office is still running Windows 95.
    I worked out that way years ago, and believe me, all you'll be able to afford on a JRC salary is the sludge of New Britain and Bristol, or as Keith Olbermann called it, the most God-forsaken place in America.

9. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

If you're determined to take this job, stay in a motel as long as you're there. You may check out within a weekend.

10. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

I lasted four months there ... seemed like a decade.

11. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

My three months in JRC was the longest five years of my life.

12. Journalista

Journalista New Member

Everyone,

For those who are interested.

GateHouse Media just purchased Journal Register's southeastern Massachusetts papers. Who knows? Maybe the end is in sight.

Long live the pre-1995 New Britain Herald, when it was a family-owned entity.

Signed,

Journalista

Draft saved Draft deleted